MIL Getting stationed in Okinawa

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thesuperlurker, Mar 30, 2009.

1. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

Found out on Friday that I'll be getting stationed in Okinawa after NJS, so sometime around August. I went on the Camp Butler welcome aboard site but it seemed very dated. Other than practicing driving on the other side of the road, what are some other ways I can prepare?

How does the housing work? Do I still get BAH or do they just pay exactly what my rent costs?

I heard everyone drives beaters over there, so I guess I jsut sell my car here and buy a beater there with the steering wheel on the wrong side?

Anyway, I'd love to hear anything anyone who has been there has to say about what they liked, hated, were most shocked by, etc. I know OkiDiver was/is there.

2. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

avoid the banana show

3. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

PM me if you've got any questions since I'm already here.

4. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Driving on the other side of the road isn't hard. The first day or so is the worst because you'll catch yourself on the wrong side of the road a few times. By the second day you'll be fine.

For off-base housing you will get OHA (overseas housing allowance). The housing agencies here will know how much the military will give you baed on your rank, and you will only get the exact amount of money needed for rent. There are no extras overseas. This thread will help you answer your questions about off-base housing: http://www.japanupdate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1672

Oh yeah..what rank are you? Enlisted Marines generally aren't allowed to drive unless there are special circumstances. One could be that you are married on accompanied orders...another could be you are the squad leader (but you'd still have to live in the barracks)...etc. I'm sure there are Marines here that could answer your questions better though.

The cars here are generally beaters that run anywhere from $500-$5000 each. There are plenty of really nice Supras, Aristos, Skylines, etc that you can choose from. Check out www.japanupdate.com and look in the classifieds section. As far as fees go you have a inspection fee (JCI) that is based on your car's license plate category (A-plate, 500, 300, etc) that I could explain to you if you want to know more. Then there is a yearly road tax fee that runs anywhere from $80 to $300 that is paid during May of each year.

I'm Airforce and life here has been good to me. If you are a Marine then life isn't always that great unfortunately.

5. RedBull

RedBull New Member

this place sucks, even for AF personnel

6. thesuperlurker

So I won't be able to pocket any BAH? So I should just find the nicest place under the budget and not worry about trying to save money on a cheaper place?

I'm a 1stLt. Probably be a Captain within a few months of getting there. Hoping I get to live off base just so I can experience the culture more and be forced to interact more with natives.

7. thesuperlurker

CAn you make extra cash dealing with pearls. I'm all about supplementing the income. I'd be legit about it though.

8. SwordandScales

SwordandScales New Member

1stLt Involved in Pearl Scandal, Okinawa Marines on Unstable Ground

9. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Go to the Banana Show, just don't eat the banana. :mamoru: that lady has been there probably since WWII. well not really, but she is old. Avoid whisper alley. Make sure you check out The Stage aka Naha Music or something like that. You'll become familiar with Gate 2 street, that's where all the bars/clubs are at.

Marine enlisted ARE allowed to drive. You just have to be an NCO, or married and accompanied. I believe you still have to wait a certain period before you are allowed to drive. Of course, it is up to your CO's discretion on who can drive.

I hated the fact that I could drive the squadron vehicle, hmmwv's, buses, 7 tons, etc.. but I couldn't have my own POV.

10. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

You aren't supposed to use the post office for personal gain according to the window signs.

11. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Yep. My supervisor lives in the same building off-base as an O-4, and he payed alot less because his OHA cap was much lower.

12. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

13. Mr. Monopoly

Mr. Monopoly OT Supporter

So how hard would it be for an ABM to get stationed in Okinawa? I've always wanted to live in Japan. Possible after OTS and ABM School?

14. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

I've been stationed on Okinawa (inbetween deployments) for the last four years. If you like doing any kind of outdoorsy stuff (scuba diving, fishing, sailing, rock climbing, hiking, etc..) you're in the perfect place.

Because it's so small the community there is really great as well. It's a lot different than the rest of the Marine Corps, I think in a good way.

Living off base won't "force" you to live with the "natives" even a little bit. If you want to expierence the culture you'll have to force yourself to do that. It's really really easy to live here and not learn more than a few choice words and basically forget you are in another country.

15. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

It's like living in Little Tokyo in any large city. Most Nihonjin understand English.

16. thesuperlurker

Thanks for all the responses.