GUN getting started with gun ownership?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by t1h, Jul 20, 2006.

1. t1h

t1h Guest

I'd like to own an M1 Garand, but I don't know how to get started. I don't know my state laws (i don't really live in CO). I know about packing.org but it doesn't tell me what I need to know.

For an M1 Garand, i wouldn't really use it, maybe a shooting range every once in a blue moon, but its more to hang it above the mantle and admire the craftsmanship.

I know there's pleny of places to buy them, m1garand.com, gunbroker, gunsamerica, etc. But, I don't really know what to look for, or how to acquire one. I mean, to buy one, it has to be shipped to a store with a federal firearms license. But, I'm just a nobody, I bet a local store wouldn't let me have it shipped to the because they don't know me. Also, I don't know anything about gun safety or usage, I've never taken a class.

So, where do I get started?

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You can purchase a Garand and learn some info here http://www.odcmp.com I dont know what your local laws are but most areas dont require a license or registration of rifles.
    As far as having a gun shipped to a FFL they will charge you a fee to accept it and do the transfer for you, you dont have to be a frequent customer of there shop for them to do it. While at the shop you might be able to find out some info for local classes or also can get info at your range.

3. t1h

t1h Guest

yeah I did a search on here for Garand and found out abou tthe C&R license. So I went to ATF's website and filed out the info so they can mail me the form. So maybe in a few months I can just buy one directly from m1garand.com.

Gotta find out about the ammo though, a thread on here said you can't use commercial grade ammo, it burns too fast. so I guess I have to buy the ammo online too. And doesn't the ammy come in an 8 round magazine, so I will have to buy a magazine too. I'm a total noob, so much to learn :hs:

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've shot commercial winchester and remington out of mine before :dunno: I usually use milsurp though cause its alot cheaper. the enbloc clips for ammo are pretty cheap and some of the old surplus already comes packed on the clips.

5. t1h

t1h Guest

well whenever i order my garand, i'll be sure to get ammo, cleaning kit, etc. i'm sure m1garand.com know what I need when I call ;)

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

http://www.odcmp.com/
    needs to be repeated. The prices are excellent and they'll ship to your door if you qualify.

7. t1h

t1h Guest

yup i qualify once i get my C&R :)

8. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

I have to find a club to join to qualify but nothing in the area.

9. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

actually, if you read carefully, you would see that you qualify any way. CMP is the ONLY way outside of a FFL to get a gun shipped directly to you. My recomendation is to go into your local gun shop, and tell them that you are interested in getting into firearms, and ask what they recomend. If its like most gun shops I have been to, you will find that the people there are VERY good people to just talk to.

10. t1h

t1h Guest

www.garandcollector.org

11. t1h

t1h Guest

if i don't have a C&R i'll have to take a gun shooting class like the NRA high power rifle class. Its just easier to get the C&R then go to the shooting class and rent a gun and everything.

12. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

believe me, in this case, going to the class is the way to go. Not only will it be VERY helpful for you as a new shooter, but IIRC, if an event is CMP run, they also provide garands and ammo for people to shoot with that are taking the class. Also, with a C&R, there are (AFAIK) very specific record keeping requirements, plus the ATF can inspect your collection whenever they want :noes:

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

No they cannot, that only applies to business ffls.

14. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

You could also try gunshows. Don't buy the first gun you see, but look around.
    Shooter grade Garands are going for around $600 at the gunshows in Colorado.
    Some CMP guys turn around and sell the least collectible guns at the gun show.

15. striker754

striker754 Chillin

gun shows are about the WORST place to find garands. CMP is the best

16. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

once I get the address of the place I am staying for the next 3 years, Im going to get myself a garand.

17. farrelly

farrelly New Member

i bought a garand as my first rifle, without much knowledge of firearms. I bought one of the new production springfield garands for a little more than $700. Its a really nice rifle but i wish i had gone the cmp route, it would've saved me some money and it would've felt like I had a real piece of history, rather than a reproduction of a piece of history. You should definalty check out the cmp, joining an affiliated club like the garand collectors association, ($25 bucks a year) allows you to purchase things like ammo from them, i'm not sure what else you haev to do to buy rifles. I'm not sure if they've changed thier policies as i havne't been able to order anything from them, or possess my rifle for that matter since i've moved back to nyc.

18. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I bought a 1954 mint Garand at a gun show for $500 cash two years ago.
    The main stock was WWII early 1940's and it looked like the gun had been given to the Danes.
    (I do hate the way that the USGI armories would not try at all to keep the parts matched.)

19. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Fuck it, all they wanted was to keep the rifles in serviceable condition.

Not what collectors wanted.

20. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

Thanks a ton, that takes care of being a member of an organization, a CCW takes care of the shooting requirements. Now it's just time to place an order. Nice having the government ship you a battle rifle right to your front door, no FFL or C&R needed. :)

21. Big Daddy

Big Daddy New Member

Go to a gun store and tell them what you want..

22. t1h

t1h Guest

and get laughed out of there

23. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

damn good choice for a first gun.. one of the greatest battle rifles ever made..

and designed by a damn Canadian too :eek3:

24. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

You should try CMP. Idk if they have anything good anymore though. Maybejust alot of 50s and 60s stuff or old beat up ww2 rifles

25. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I had a thread up about that since I just got my M1 back after having it built.

Dean at DGR and Fulton-Armory say you can use commercial ammo as long as it's around 147-150 grains. For Match Ammo, Dead recommends Federal Gold Match and Fulton recommends Black Hills 168-grain.

odcmp.com I think also sells original delinked M2 ball ammo that will work in the M1 Garand. Make sure you do your research with the Korean Surplus ammo you can purchase. Some of it's corrosive, some of it's perfectly fine, and some lots of have a good # of rifles blow up. I have a bunch of corrosive Korean I use to use through my M1 but it's not going through my rifle now that I've had it rebuilt.

At my range I met a guy who has 3 M1 Garands. He bought a kit that gives him a new, not sure what the proper name is, screw that goes infront of his gas cylinder. The kit comes with a bunch with different sized holes so you can tune the gas system for fast burning commerical loads without risk over overpressurizing the cylinder. I haven't looked for where you get kit.

Someone else recommended if you have high pressure commerical loads you can just remove that screw and shoot the rifle. It'll be single shot and you'll have to manually move the action after each one though.