A&P Getting started - online portfolio - gallery templates?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by YourMomOnRyeBun, Jan 26, 2010.

1. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

So I'm just getting started, so I know I'm not going to be able to book weddings tomorrow, charge a fortune for a great shot, etc...

All I am looking to do is lay the ground work for a future hobby/side gig

People ask "do you have an online portfolio that I can look at"?

What do you guys use to show off your work? Looking for cheap/free solutions. I already have host space that I can use, so I don't need that. Know of any good (free) Joomla templates for photo galleries? Any other ideas you can suggest? I'm not looking to SELL photos off this space, just show them off (family, friends).

I thought about just designing the site from scratch, but I'm not a coding guru and I figured I might be able to save some time with a photo gallery template that already exits and then customize/tweak the page around it.

I know a lot of people on here rave about Flickr... Do you use that for a portfolio, or just to host images on here?

*** Note: in another thread I am asking about photo gallery sites with shopping cart features to SELL photos. That venture is going to be done with someone else's pictures...totally different project.

2. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

Flickr is just a place I dump my pics. If a client finds it, that's fine, but I don't promote it. It's not 'prodessinal' enough IMO. same with SmugMug.

if you want a free solution, start a blog on blogger or wordpress. There's tons of templates (theirs and custom ones) and it's a good way to showcase your work.

If you want a 'cheap' route for sites, can't go wrong with bludomain. But remember, tons of people (including tits, JColman and Myself) use them. I'm eventually moving away from flash sites altogether, but that's because of SEO stuff and tracking on analytics.

3. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

:werd:
    Get you a blog and a flickr account. I dump all my pictures that I want on my blog into my flickr account. Then just link them up.
    For my main "portfolio" site, I use bludomain as well. As for the flash comment and SEO's that's what your blog is for. There are some wordpress add ons to help out with SEO also.