SRS getting someone to see the light?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bob-dc2, Feb 2, 2004.

1. bob-dc2

bob-dc2 Expanse

so my step bro is starting to become alchohol dependent. he drinks about 2-3 times a week and doesnt just have one or two drinks but usually get strongly buzzed

last night we were at a party and he wanted to drive home drunk cause he thinks he is perfect at driving drunk. no matter what anyone said, he still thought it would be best for him to drive home.

its kinda sad to see him turn into this, hes loosing control of himself.

so what can I do to help him?

the problem is that he is more close minded than most people. and if i talk to him about it, he will straight out say he isnt becoming an alchoholic.

im thinking about callin his sister and having her talk with him because they are closer. but I still dont think that will help that much

2. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

Its not as easy as any of us would like... I would go with talking to the sister, its better to get direct family involved and see what they think and how it should be gone about bringing it up...

It should be completely voluntary, but if it really is a huge problem, then a detox/rehab might be more for him, since they're not always voluntary, and at the rate you seem to let on that he's going, he may have to go on a court order anyway if he screws up just once...

all you can do is talk with him about it and leave it at that, it can't be a forced thing and it takes a lot of deflating the ego, taking a hit to the pride, and a lot of other things, for a person to admit that they might have a problem... if he's unable to do that yet then there isn't much anyone can do ...

not saying don't try it...
    just saying don't push it

3. Sionell89

Sionell89 I grew up when I wasn't looking

Denial ain't a river in Egypt.

I'm told that you can't convince someone that they have a drinking problem. THey have to come to that conclusion themselves. And that happens when the pain to change is less than the pain that they are currently in. I believe it's called hitting bottom.

Now, in terms of driving drunk, you can do something about that. Just think about the people that he could KILL, whose lives would be ruined if he had an accident. You might not be popular if you call the cops on him, but think about the consequences. You don't necessarily need to stop him, but you can quietly dismiss yourself and call 911 anonymously. Tell them where he will be and let them be the heavy. Yes, the price to your step bro will be huge, but that's his stuff, not yours.

DO NOT allow yourselve to be accountable for his actions. If the dysfunctional family finds out about the phone call, they may all the trouble your fault, as though your call would not have been necessary had your step bro acted responsibly in the first place.

It's a hard place to be in, but the best thing you can do is read up on some Al-anon literature.

4. anomaly

anomaly If you weren't around for the original HA.net spli

He won't realize it until it's far too late. A girl I know got in 17 alcohol/drug related wrecks in like 3 years, before she finally killed someone. Each of the wrecks was fairly small so she brushed them off, until someone finally got killed.