Getting Rims to Look Their Best

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by DMClark, Aug 28, 2002.

1. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

I'm wanting to make the rims on my car look the best they can. They are regular alloy rims that come stock. I've noticed a ton of brake dust on the inside of them so I plan to pull each of and wash each down with some washer and a little soap. After they dry. I'm wondering what would be best to do? I've got some mothers carnumba cleaner wax (i think that's what it is) it's whichever has a little polish in it. Whould this be alright to use on the outside? Or should I got about a different way of making them look their best?

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

If they're painted rims, go ahead and wax them. The best way to get brake dust off is to scrub with regular car soap, if that doesn't work, spray some Simple Green on there, let it sit for awhile, then rinse. Should take most, if not all, of the dust off.

3. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

I think they are painted. Stock rims on a 2001 mustang? I'm just not sure.

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I honestly don't know. Anyone have any experience with Mustangs?

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Yeah, they are painted. EMT is right, go ahead and wax them. It will make the brake dust easier to clean off them.

BTW, those Raybestos Quiet Stop Plus Pads shed almost no dust and stop better than stock pads. They are a ceramic compound of some sort. Good way to prevent future nasty brake dust and stop quicker at the same time!