Getting rid of the smoke smell

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Chris51080, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Chris51080

Chris51080 I like pie

I am about to buy a used car, however the previous owner was a smoker. I've been told a million ways to get rid of the smell, but most sound like old wives tales. Does anybody have real experience with getting rid of cigarette odor?

Do those ozone generators actually work, or is that all a sham?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Clean everything you can get to in the interior, then take it to a shop with an ozone generator. If they know what they are doing, the smell should be completely removed.

Personally though, I'd never by a smoker's car. Not only do they reek inside but there are always cigarette burns in the interior.

3. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

:werd:

4. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Absolutely.
    And on top of that, there will ALWAYS be nicotine and tar staining in the car.
    The fabric, seat foam, carpets, even some porus vinyl dash and trim components, will absord the tar and nicotine. WHich in "green house" situations (i.e. high humidity, warm heat) can cause it to leach out, discoloring the fabrics, making the trim pieces feel sticky, and grimey. And in some rare ocasions, even rub off onto, and discolor your clothing (if its a light color).

As a general rule, i DO NOT do interiors on smokers cars. I have a bit of an asthmatic reaction to the tar, so i just choose to stay away fromit altogehter. Id rather loose out onteh money, then waste my time.

5. Chris51080

Chris51080 I like pie

Thanks for the advice guys...I'll be stearing clear of this one.