getting rid of oxidized paint?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by mrautoxer, Jan 5, 2005.

1. mrautoxer

mrautoxer Guest

If you have a car with oxidized clearcoat...meaning the clearcoat has turned chalky-white. You see it on cars that haven't been garaged during their lifetime and are now 10 years old. anyway, how can you get rid of that short of a repaint? will an orbital buffer and rubbing compound get rid of it?

2. Robb

Robb Guest

you can try an abrasive polish or a chemical cleaner, one that i have heard mentioned that works very well on oxidation is KLasse AIO. It is a good paint cleaner, there are others available as well that may work.

3. spark plugs.

spark plugs. beautiful. OT Supporter

Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner Polish is the SHIT.

4. 6']['9

6']['9 New Member

w/ something like dacp, 80 or ssr1/2

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If the clear coat is actually turning white, odds are it is too gone to be saved. Still worth trying a good moderately abrasive polishing like DACP but don't get your hopes up too high. :sad2:

6. solaraguy

solaraguy Guest

AIO may offer some temporary improvement, but if it is that far gone I wouldn't expect it to last more than a few weeks.

7. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I spent all saturday detailing my 89 Jeep... just bought it this summer and the paint was lookin pretty shitty. I used two coats of Polishing Compound (turtle wax's i think) on the front, and one coat on the side. then did a coat of Pinnacle wax and it looks like i got a new friggin paint job, it looks like a new car. my only advice is not to rub too hard when using any abrasive product... a little paint is supposed to come off, but you can actually take too much off and ruin the paint.

good luck