Getting rid of integrated graphics

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Budha, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Budha

Budha Guest

Hey,

I've posted here before about a problem I keep getting with a white screen of death every so often. A lot of people think it has to do w/ the video card. Its an ATI Radeon 200 express card. What would be a good/reliable/cheap card to replace this with? I will NOT be playing computer games of any kind. Some photoshop and CS3 work, but no 3d animations or extreme rendering. I really appreciate it. Thanks

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

do you have a PCI-Ex16 slot? What do we have to work with.

3. Budha

Budha Guest

oh wow... um, what would that look like exactly... I know I have a PCI slot because I hooked up an internal wireless adapter to it.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

PCI is no good. Need AGP (not likely) or PCI-Ex16 (possible).

5. Budha

Budha Guest

Do you want me to take a picture of my computers internals? Or could you describe what it looks like.

6. Robert.Paulson

Robert.Paulson New Member

do you know what kind of motherboard you have?

if not, cpuz can tell you

http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-141.zip

7. Budha

Budha Guest

For "Mainboard"
    Manufacturer: MSI
    Model: Albacore 1.0
    Chipset: ATI Xpress 200 Rev. 01
    South Bridge: ATI SB400
    LPCIO: SMSC LPC47M192

BIOS: Brand: Pheonix Tech
    Version 3.12

lmk if you need any other info thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2007
  8. Stev

Stev Active Member

Wouldnt by any chance be a HP desktop would it?

9. Budha

Budha Guest

Yes, HP Pavilion a1130n AMD 64 Bit processor 3500

10. Chris

Chris New Member

google = your friend

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,122758/article.html

thus you can pick any card from this list
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&N=2010380048 1069609641&bop=And&Order=PRICE

something like this is cheap, has a fan instead of passive cooling (better for longevity), it can do HD video playback if you ever wanted to hook it up to an HDTV, and it candle DX10
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131063

but people here will tell you that card is crappy because its not top of the line, so feel free to browse from the big list before making a choice

11. Budha

Budha Guest

lol thanks Chris, I'm a google whore and I didn't even think about doing that. What are some trustworthy brands from that list that you would recommend. Also, I have 2 open slots for RAM. In the first 2 slots each have 512k in them. To sustain 2 gigs total of RAM, I need to buy 2 more 512k sticks, or do I need to buy 2 gig sticks? Thanks

12. Chris

Chris New Member

yeah, 2 512 sticks will get you there, and as far as brands when looking for video cards, it works like this.

ATI and Nvida are the two big companies that make the basic parts that make a video card. Then other 3rd party companies assemble them with parts they choose, like fans and connectors.

So the best thing to do would probably be to decide which model from ATI or Nvida you want (X1950 Pro or 8800 GTS, ect..) then find one from a reputable manufacturer. Some good ones are EVGA, Sapphire, Gigabyte, XFX, MSI, and there are more. The reviews on Newegg are very helpful also.

13. Skankin'

Skankin' We are Ginger. We do not forgive. We do not forget

You can get 2 more sticks of 512, but just make sure you either get the same speed RAM or just replace it altogether with 2GB with the top your motherboard can handle. I would get an nVidia

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130025

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130062

I currently have the 7600 GT in my old gaming computer, but it rocks for just about everything that is everyday work and light gaming. I used it with dual 19inch Widescreens and it never missed a beat.

14. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

DX10 for $59 shipped.

Nothing wrong with that.

:cool:

15. Budha

Budha Guest

ok the CPU Z has listed my ram as this:
    module size: 512 mbytes
    Max Bandwidth: PC3200 (200MHz)
    Manufact: Infineon

So I need to find ram that has the same bandwidth?

Also, you used dual monitors, I'm guessing one was hooked up via VGA and one was done via DVI?

Also, do you think if I upgrade my ram to 2 gigs, and get this new vid card (7600 GT) that I will be able to use programs such as Light Room, PS CS3 extended, and dream weaver w/out a problem? I've gotten into digi photography/art as of late and I just want to make sure I can do all of this stuff on my comp. (basically I dont want to throw 150 into the computer if its pointless)

16. Skankin'

Skankin' We are Ginger. We do not forgive. We do not forget

I would think so. Especially witht the RAM upgrade and a good card you will be fine. One was VGA and the other was DVI.

17. Budha

Budha Guest

Also do you think that its only direct x 9, it will still be good for another 2 years. Like is that going to be supported for a while. I want the PC to last 2 more years.

edit: My max output power on the little sticker on my power supply says 300w, so looks like I cant get that 7600gt, any comparable ones?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2007
  18. Robert.Paulson

Robert.Paulson New Member

a dx9 card would be ok unless you plan on using applications that require a dx10 card

im no expert but.. you may want to consider a power supply upgrade if your going to add a video card

anyone agree??

:dunno:

19. Doc Brown

Yeah, 300w is just too low if you plan on upgrading graphics.

I mean, unless it's made by PC Power&Cooling, it's probably not gonna cut it.

20. Chris

Chris New Member

honestly, I think it will be fine

my GF has this low end PC
    http://www.powerspec.com/systems/archives/system_archive.phtml?selection=6241

Im not exactly sure how big the PSU in it is, but for a $399 PC it cant be very fancy and Ive added more RAM, a PCI firewire, PCI ethernet card, another DVD drive, another IDE hard drive and an AGP vid card, and its fine

So I would say try it first before just running out and upgrading half of your components

21. Doc Brown

I like powerspec computers. I had one back in the 90's with a Celeron in it that was great for the bucks.

But I bet they have more than 300 watts now.

22. Chris

Chris New Member

well, its from 03, I would guess it has about 250-300

Ive tried to figure out what exactly it has, but I would have to disassemble the whole case to see the label, and Im too lazy to do that

23. Budha

Budha Guest

So Chris, you think that one you suggested (Powercolor) will cut it w/ my max 300 wattage? Would adding an extra gig of ram stress the power even more?

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

a 300W sparkle would work. those things are fucking troopers!

25. Chris

Chris New Member

Well, sure the RAM is going to need power, but its not that much

Like I said, in the case of my computer, it would be a pain to change the PSU, so I wouldn't bother with it unless I had to.

What you should do if you know the specs of your PSU is add up all of the amps you're drawing on the 12v rail. See where you stand and how much capacity you have left for expansion. Then you'll know if any particular card will over tax your PSU.