Getting rid of delay on keydown (C++)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RanciD, Dec 5, 2003.

1. RanciD

RanciD New Member

I'm making a game in VC++ with DirectX. I'm using DirectInput and everything is working fine.. it can handle multiple keys at once, etc. except that when you press down a key and hold it it will perform the desired action once (ie fire your weapon) then pause a second before it starts to repeat this action continually. In a game this is EXTREMELY annoying and isn't tolerable. I'll hold right arrow expecting to move out of the way of incoming fire, I'll move right a tiny bit then it just pauses before I start moving again unless I repeatedly tap the button instead. There's got to be some way to get rid of this delay. Google isn't giving me anything, please help! :sadwavey:

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

hmmm, that's very interesting.... what does your keydown event look like? It's been awhile since i've played with DirectInput.

3. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

You should be polling the keyboard and checking the state of the keys you're interested in, rather than relying on a keydown event.

The delay and repeat rate are defined by the OS. Look at the keyboard control panel applet. But, in a game, I don't think you want to be relying on this mechanism.

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

yeah, you definately rely on windows messaging... i thought that with DirectInput, it was direct access to the hardware which should make it possible but i dunno, it's been awhile

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

have u thought about writing your own keyboard interupt?

6. RanciD

RanciD New Member

Sorry guys.. I found the problem. Yeah DirectInput allows you to directly access the hardware.. my problem was that I still had my HandleKeys function getting called when I recieved a keydown message from Windows! oops.