Getting Ready to do First Real Detail - Advice

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by crazynova, Jul 11, 2006.

1. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

I'm new to this forum, but have been reading for the past few days and trying to learn as much as I can. I am getting ready to do my first true detail, on my red 87 Jeep Cherokee. I'm not so sure it has ever been detailed in its life, but the paint isn't oxidized all that bad, and all the clearcoat is still there (big problem in Vegas). I have ordered some things in anticipation of starting to do my own car, as well as family cars, like ONR, Optimum Polish as well as Compound, OCW, and a PC w/ assorted pads, and clay bar. These will all be here by the end of the week, and I am looking at doing my Jeep this coming Sunday. Also, I have done some waxing at the local car wash I work at, but I do not trust our wax, as it is a no name brand that doesn't seem to be the best (Buddco brand or w/e).

My biggest question is, what order should i do everything? Is it Wash, Clay, Polish, and Wax? From what I have read, it also seems like I may want to First use Optimum Compound, and then Optimum Polish. Is this correct?

Also, My glass seems to have a sort of sand blasted feel to it on the outside, probably from all the sand in the air, and constantly being outside. Is there any way to polish this off? I assume I'll need glass polish and maybe a special pad or do it by hand?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Wash, clay, polish and wax, you have the order right.

Pitted glass is hopeless. No way to polish it out, sorry.

3. Phishy4

Phishy4 New Member

Use the Compound first, then polish (after you wash and clay of course). Depending on the pads you got, you'll probably want to use a light cut type pad for the compound (mine is an orange Lake Country) and a polishing pad (usually White, at least for LC) for the polish. Take your time and don't use too much product, with Optimum you dont need much to be effective. For the glass, if the roughness is just embedded contaminates you can try to clay it, it may help.

4. tyuan

tyuan New Member

when u clay it use griots speed shine, it works wonders