SRS getting ready for SAD season..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Changed, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Changed

Changed Guest

Since its September and the weather is starting to change, I would like to bring up SAD. Of course SAD stands for Seasonal Affective Disorder. Basically, its a depression that sets in during winter, mostly because of a lack of light. Living in upstate NY, I seem to feel depressed every winter. And, I doubt I am the only one on here that is effected by it.

Now, I've never been diagnosed, or even talked to a doctor/physc. about season depression, but I'd like to get a head start on it this year. I was wondering if there is anybody that has experience with this problem, and how they have beaten it. The one thing I wont do is start taking meds. Other than that, everything is fair game :dunno:

2. Vixxen

Vixxen New Member

gloomy weather affects me the same way. i just try to keep myself occupied with a book or a movie. does it help much? sometimes. i do have meds now, though. good luck.

3. Ludwig

Ludwig New Member

Yep i feel the same way too.

4. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

When I start feeling down, I just go and exercise. Half killing myself always cheers me up :)

5. Changed

Changed Guest

Getting out during the day is tough here. 1. it is either snowing like a bitch or 0* outside during the winter where I live. 2. even if I get outside, I live in an area that has more overcast days than Seattle.

One thing that I think will help is exercise. I'm living on a college dorm, so I should be able to hit the track every other day or so. Also, racquetball is an option.

Anything other suggestions than exercise? :wavey:

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I love the fall and winter seasons....but around Feb I seriously start wanting some warmer weather. I dunno tho, I'd like to live further up N cuz it gets too hot here in Summer.

7. OoOlAlA

OoOlAlA New Member

I also feel different during the winter. I am in Minnesota. Everything is gray and white. The snow covered ground is white, sky is gray. After awhile it just gets sickening to the point where I dont even want to look at side. I always look forward to the end of the winter where you get to see the blue sky again.

8. toeshoes

toeshoes Guest

I have SAD, yet it is reversed for me. I cannot go out in the summer (6 months here) so I get depressed during the hot months.

9. johan

johan Active Member

maintain a good diet, stay away from eating crappy foods
    light exercise/stay active
    get some sun when you can, bundle up and eat lunch outside on those cold, but sunny days.
    buy a full spectrum lamp, 15-30 mins a day
    omega 3's

No need for meds to address SAD.

10. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

i swear i have this condition (haven't seen anyone about it)
    i'm so down during the winter months and everyone around me sees it :hs:
    i don't know how to overcome it :sad2:

11. Changed

Changed Guest

12. Changed

Changed Guest

nice. I started taking fish oil, just for my physical health a few months ago, so I will continue to do that. Exercise is easy. Eating healthy, not so much. My meal plan doesnt afford much space for variety, or much healthy food at all.

I feel prepared to stay happy this winter though :o

13. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

14. Changed

Changed Guest

yeah, I'm not sure about the light. I'll just try the other things and see how it goes

15. Nanook

Nanook New Member

Living in Alaska, I hear alot about S.A.D, though I have never suffered from it. Maybe its because I was born and raised here, and have adapted to the long dark winters.

Besides the usual, "eating right, exercising, blah blah blah" I would suggest focusing more on the optimistic side of winter.

To me, you sound like you've already set yourself up by saying, "SAD season is upon us", like you've conceded. What I do is focus on the postive aspects of winter such as skiing, the upcoming holiday season, the football season, the distinct feeling of breathing in that cold, crisp fresh air or a cup of steaming hot coffee on a cold winter morning in front of the fire. Believe me, I love it when the snow starts melting away as much as the next guy, but in the meantime enjoy what is brought with winter.

Maybe it's just a general philosophy of mine, but looking on the bright side of things I believe, is what gets me through 6 months of total winter and darkness. I don't know if anything I said will help, but i'm only speaking from my experience. :)