Getting programs from computer to calculator

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by yust4, Feb 27, 2004.

1. yust4

yust4 New Member

I have a TI-89....dont even know how to get programs from my computer onto my calculator. Anyone ever done that before...If you have, help me out

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

You need to buy (or make, if you feel so inclined) a TILink cable. If you buy it, it'll come with some software to transfer programs onto your calculator from your computer, or vice versa.

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

You can download the software (for free!) from TI's web site. Its pretty good stuff. Plus there's probably a good handful of shareware/freeware/open source stuff out there too (many geared towards different cables).

You can build your own (parallel cable one is pretty easy) or spend some bucks and get an authentic cable.

Connect them together. Turn the calculator on. Then run the sync software on the PC. Easy stuff.

Also, once you figure out and master the art of connecting the TI to your PC, do yourself a HUGE favor and download from TI's website the latest OS for the 89. I HIGHLY recommend it. It added some tricks and functions which really made my life a bit easier in pre-calc class.

And when you get bored, you can check out my TI apps (cheap plug): http://www.rsbauer.com/ti.php

4. Penguin Man

I built a parallel cable, but I couldn't get it to work. If I feel so inclined at some point I'll probably buy a TI one, or build the serial one which is supposed to be more reliable. I'm not using my TI-83 this semester (not allowed a graphing calculator in calculus class) so I'm not really paying attention to it right now.

5. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I believe there's a couple parallel cable designs out there. I believe I built 2 parallel cables. It took a couple tries, but it was pretty easy. Just 2 diodes and a resistor or 2 if I remember correctly. Its worked really well when I was using it. I got fancy and put the same mini-jack connector thing on the end of the parallel cable so I didn't have to destroy a calculator-to-calculator link cable.

6. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

I built a parallel cable and it works perfect.

7. Penguin Man

Yeah, mine was simple like that too, and I did the same mini-jack thing (I think you suggested it actually). Could have been software error, but I think it was some hardware problem. From what I've heard the parallel cables are notoriously unreliable, it's kinda hit and miss.