Getting Platelet Rich Plasma treatment next Wed

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by MP18, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MP18

MP18 New Member

4/14/2010: Had pretty consistent pain in my right knee for a couple of years now, turned out to be a tear in my patellar tendon below my knee cap. Treatment options are surgery or PRP, the latter of which has a pretty good track record thus far but is still in its developmental phases.

I'll let you know how it goes in case any of you bros have knee pain that just won't go away and is related to tendon trauma, supposed to be 70-80% chance of getting back to competition potential, which is where I left it.

UPATE
    5/13/2010: Had my one month check-up today. Have to admit the first month was pretty rought gimping around and trying not to do anything that would traumatically disrupt the healing process. A deep squat or fall would basically unstick the biological glue injected into my patellar tendon.
    Swelling went down after about 10 days for me. The knee felt okay but I never really put much weight on it the first month - took stairs one at a time, favored it while walking, etc. The time I was most concerned was the week of my appointment. It had been feeling good and and improving pain wise throughout the month, but I did something the Sunday prior that had me worried. My concerns were assauged on my visit. They did an ultrasound and the scar tissue area showed up on the monitor as more of a greyish color than before (it was black), which means that the area is becoming more dense and collagen regeneration is taking place.
    He said the pain is normal and we did a couple of pain tests, one was contracting my quad to full extension, loaded and lightly loaded, that hurt. The second was doing a half squat, that hurt more. Basically what happened is the plasma worked its magic for the first week and most likely left the area when the swelling when down after 10 days. The stimulus it provided and increased growth factors post-procedure are what are cultivating the collagen remodelling in the months afterwards.
    My job for the next two months is to put the tendon through increased stress via bike riding for the first month and bike and leg press for the second. It's going to be mad boring but hopefully it will cause successful tendon remodelling and I'll be able to return to sport.

An interesting point was the chiropractor who helped go from 0% to 80% came along to meet Dr. Mishra. Afterwards he told me that he has three patients right now who are opening taking HGH. One of these guys was doing one-legged box jumps three weeks after ACL surgery :eek3:

UPDATE 2
    7/13/2010: Went in for my second check up last Wednesday, three months after treatment. I was a little hesistant going in because I had some serious hiccups in my recovery, mostly related to pain and soreness in the area as I picked up my strengthening exercises.
    Since my last check up one month post-op, I was just cycling, trying to increase the resistance as much as possible, then added leg press after a month, which was what really helped me see advances. There was a 2.5 week period however where my knee was really sore after a string of rehab sessions, to the point where I had to take some time off, but I got over that and dumped the cycling all together, instead focusing on prone leg presses and traditional leg press sled movements, never to more than 90 degrees.
    Upon my last check up using ultrasound, the size of the tear reduced from 0.3cm x 0.3cm to 0.2cm x 0.2cm, so a 55% reduction in the size of the injury. Pain-wise, its still much worse that before the procedure though. Thst most troubling range of motion is a full extention of my leg at the top part of the movement. This is most probably because I avoided this ROM after the procedure so the regenerating collagen is still stiff and immature, I'm doing VMO contraction exercises and straightening my leg fully twice a day now to see how I react to that, while continuing to build strength via the weight room.
    I have another check-up in a month to see if this is really working or if we have to consider other options, aka surgery. My perception is that I'm recovering more slowly than I should, at least compared to other testimonials, but because this is uncharted territory, it's difficult to say whether or not that is a bad thing. I'll post up how things are in a month after my next check up.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

I looked into this as well but there aren't any providers near me. Even went up to see the team docs and sports medicine peeps at USF in Tampa and they weren't yet on board.

Who's the doc? I know Dr. Mishra is at Stanford and he's pretty much leading the charge in this field. Keep us posted!

3. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

I shall ask my doc about this :eek3:

4. DaFreak963

DaFreak963 New Member

will that get rid of the gay?

how you gonna move your shit around i may? I thought you had to sit around for a month

5. MP18

MP18 New Member

gonna make that negrum flo do it lol

6. MP18

MP18 New Member

ya Mishra is the guy doing it believe it or not, proximity ftw :cool: will definitely post progress

7. MP18

MP18 New Member

Got the treatment today.

Was a pretty simple procedure, 1hr from start to finish. First they looked at the area with an untrasound imaging machine, it shows precisely where the degenerated tissue is, shows up as black as opposed to white/gray in the MRI. They drew some of my blood and numbed the tendon where the injection would go, for me it is just under my right kneecap on the patellar tendon.

The shot was uncomfortable but tolerable. Waited 15min then they came back and gave me the injection, which was a plasma concentrate from my blood separated by centrifuge. They used the needle to break up the degenerated/scar tissue that resided in the injured area and injected about 10cc of plasma into the area. Waited about 15min then was free to go.

Recovery for the first month is as follows:

Crutches to assist in walking for 2 days
    Light biking (no resistance) for 20 min for first week
    Increase resistance for second week
    ""
    ""
    Follow-up appt in a month.

I'll provide updates as I progress

8. aus-juiced

aus-juiced New Member

I don't know if your doctor mentioned this, but it's essential that you consume plenty of moist whey after you ride the stationary bike.

9. MP18

MP18 New Member

wut

10. aus-juiced

aus-juiced New Member

Oh, you don't know about the benefits of moist whey?

11. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

Thanks for the update. Very interested in this :bigthumb:

12. MP18

MP18 New Member

i hear they offer maximum benefit when mixed with steel cut oats and injected directly

13. aus-juiced

aus-juiced New Member

You may even snort the mixture, so long as you avoid all traces of trans fats. Trans vestites are acceptable, however.

14. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

:bigthumb:

15. Netbastard

Netbastard OT Supporter

Hey MP, who recommended this procedure the Ortho or your Dr.? Looking forward to hearing the results as I know I need another scope on my right knee in the near future.

16. golfnut019

golfnut019 i love them little white balls

Is this covered by insurance? I'm guessing it's not?

17. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

How's it feel today? I demand daily updates.

18. MP18

MP18 New Member

I literally tried everything outside of surgery to fix my knee over the course of two years. Physical therapy, MRIs, chiropractic, the whole nine yards. I would consistently get back to like 80% then have a set back, over and over again. One night after a typical disappointing workout, i got online and starting checking out alternative/natural type medicines. Platelet rich plasma came up in the search somewhere and I was intrigued, I researched and found out the guy who basically invented it, Dr. Allan Mishra, is in my backyard in the bay area. I contacted him with a brief history of my injury and they brought me in for a consultation. He suggested another MRI, and 4 weeks of PT, after which we reassessed and discussed 3 treatment options, nothing, PRP, and surgery. He said with one injection, PRP has a 70-80% chance to getting me back to competitive weightlifting (based on prelim studies, the treatment hasn't been around that long), or really close, surgery had an 80-85% chance based on long term massive studies. I opted for PRP because I just really don't want to go under the knife due to complications, etc and the much longer recovery. A bonus with PRP is that I can keep up follow-up visits where an ultrasound assesses my progress and I can always just get another shot which will increase the chances even more. If worse comes to worst, you can always do surgery, or surgery and PRP. Interestingly, with tennis elbow, one of the most common injuries where PRP is used as a treatment, has approx a 95% recovery rate with one shot, but because the patellar tendon is so avascular, the treatment isn't as effective (also why patellar tendon injuries are so tenacious in resisting healing)

Also, in general, I just agree with the principle behind how the plasma works. The body can heal itself and it's the simple fact that there's no blood flow to these tendons, preventing them from healing appropriately. So despite the greater likelihood of success with surgery, and lower cost, I would rather go with a less invasive, more natural healing technique.

Another note, Dr. Mishra was excellent. He appeared legitimately concerned about my injury, didn't push the PRP therapy on me and clearly enjoyed helping people heal. He has fan letters all over the clinic, and stays in contact with his patients. Told me a story about how he was texting some Stanford football player after he crushed some guy on the goal line asking how his knee felt. He said it felt great.

walloftext.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  19. MP18

MP18 New Member

It's actually not, by any carrier I don't think. The cost for me was $1,800. They're very up front about it, if you can't pay it's not for you.

20. MP18

MP18 New Member

Let's just say I wish I had picked up my pain prescription yesterday :rofl:

I passed on it and felt great yesterday, but woke up at 3:30am this morning in serious pain, I couldn't fall back to sleep for like an hour. This morning it was really stiff and swollen and tender. I can walk on it but bending my knee isn't comfortable. I went to work and walked around without crutches, albiet gingerly. Picked up the vicodin around noon, but it didn't do much for the knee pain (I only took one though, I was at work). We'll see how it goes tomorrow, I'm supposed to start on a bike at zero resistance on Saturday, which seems a long way away right now.

21. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

good luck, in for updates

22. Grizzly

Grizzly New Member

hoping for a speedy recovery for ya bro.
    in for updates.

23. Netbastard

Netbastard OT Supporter

cool story, I'm going to look into the procedure and see if it's being conducted anywhere on the E.Coast hopefully Boston.

24. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

CLIFFS: should have gone with the surgery

25. MP18

MP18 New Member

still an option

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.