MMA getting permission to compete

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by SHORTSHIFTER, May 21, 2008.

1. SHORTSHIFTER

SHORTSHIFTER Old School Lurker

whats you stance on getting permission to compete from your instructor that is.

those of you that have competed, do you ask you instructor for permission?
    i mean out of respect...

here is the situation, i am just coming of a 3 week vacation, no training what so ever, but there is a tournament this Sunday, the last one of the season.

i spoke to him today about it, he advised against it, as i haven't really trained for it.... which is entirely true.

is asking for permission or my instructors "blessing" common practice?

2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i usually let them know im going to compete. my old instructor never wanted me to compete unelss i was there. which didnt help me at all because he'd just get in my face during the tournament and stress me out. depends on your academy. I think if i competed and didnt let anyone in my academy know, they wouldnt really care. others would care though

3. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

I dunno, i cant see any downside of gaining more experience. If you go in and do your best with no expectations, how can you come away worse than when you went in?

4. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

the point is, if you go and get owned it represents your school badly. thats the reason an instructor wouldnt want you to go when he doesnt feel youre ready.

its different getting owned for a good reason, and getting owned because you arent prepared

5. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Ahh, that makes sense. I dont have a 'school' per say and when I go to a tournament I go alone. The politics of it didnt really cross my mind :hs: At least I dont have to worry about someone else having expectations of me.

I mean still, everyone cant start out a overhooking half butterfly wizard like yourself :mamoru: gotta start at the bottom

6. SHORTSHIFTER

if i were to compete my academy would know, this sounds dumb, but i am one of the more popular and well liked members at my school

also my instructor would be at the tournament, supporting some of the other guys.... so he will notice me competing

i am fairly sure i have the skill to compete, i was given the go ahead for the last one, but puss'd out

but my conditioning is no where near it should be, plus i will be at a higher weight class then normal

7. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Bravado No-Gi is gonna be cool, but I'm going to miss it

8. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

I compete whenever I feel like it, I don't really need to ask...But it's understood that I always do my best to represent the school. If you're coming off a vacation and coach thinks you need some more work...he probably knows best.

9. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

:werd: to the second part. It's just a respect issue.

10. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

agreed. when I used to compete a lot in judo when I was younger you pretty much showed up to any and all tournaments even if you weren't in good shape to win just so you could get some experience under your belt and have some fun.

IMO if your just going to have fun and really dont care about winning then fuck it go ahead and go to town and have a blast as long as you dont care about losing. if your going in their with the mentality that you are going to own every one then forget about it and dont do it. It really just boils down to what your goals are. If I were in your shoes and I wanted to compete and I didnt care about winning or losing I would just go.

11. Sammo

Sammo New Member

how did you do

12. SHORTSHIFTER

i decided not to go... i am a pussy... funny tho.... my friend weighed in at 157 so he had to fight in the 170 div... he won it... weird stuff.
    and my instructor didn't even show...

13. SHORTSHIFTER

hwy sammo do you train... if so where??

14. Kuet

Kuet New Member

lol 5 % of your posts have been in this thread :rofl: