SRS Getting over the death of a close family member

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by G-man, Nov 25, 2006.

1. G-man

G-man Well-Known Member

Just looking for some advice in getting over grief from the death of a close family member. Last week my mom died very suddenly and unexpectedly. When I first heard the news I was utterly devastated. She was always such a strong woman that I figured she would live another 30 years. Suddenly I feel that this huge pillar of support is gone from my life. I think that I have experienced just about every emotion possible since her passing. I know that it takes time to get over things like this but it just seems like it's hardly easing at all. I have a brother and sister and they been helpful. My mom was the last parent I had (my dad died 11 years ago). Just wondering what you guys thoughts are.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Imagine if you died, would you enjoy everyone grieving over you and feeling miserable for many years to come? Of course not, you would want them to live on and live their lives to the fullest, so instead of dying for the ones that you've lost, start living for them. A mother that you have a good relationship with is for some the most significant thing an individual can have. That huge pillar of support isn't gone from your life, because your love for her will remain in your heart forever.:love: its ok to grieve, and let it all out of your system, then you can start processing the things , and giving yourself time to heal, and remember her for the great person she was, those happy memories are to be kept forever in your heart. You have to realise, or already have realised that in life there are things you do, and do not have control over. Personally my bond with my deceased loved ones has remained forever, i still am as emotionally bonded to them as i was when they lived. As time progresses you understand that you still have your own life to live, events like this press on it why you should cherish the love you have, and cherish the life you live. :hug: , we are here for you , vent and lean on us all you need.

3. G-man

G-man Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice and you are right. She wouldn't have wanted me to cease being able to function or to dwell on her death. It just takes time to grieve about it then after that you have to make up your mind to go on living your life.