Getting on two wheels - start with a scooter or go straight for a bike?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Netwit, May 12, 2008.

1. Netwit

Netwit Pass the Kerbango

I'm torn between grabbing a Zuma and spending some time on that and hopping straight on a bike, which I know i'll eventually want.

There's an Aprilia RS50 and a Honda CBR150R on my local CL that look pretty interesting. I really don't want to touch anything over 200cc's until I feel pretty comfortable riding around on one.

Any bike suggestions? Scooters? Is starting out on a scooter that much different?

Thanks!

2. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

Start out on a bike. Scooters you will get the street smarts down, but not the technique. Go for the CBR150 or Ninja 250

3. liquidPoop

liquidPoop .........................

Scooters arent any safer than bikes (in fact I would probably say less so) and the different riding style probably wont help much in learning a bike (different transmissions, no feet operation, tank hugging, etc).

I'd say the best way to learn and feel comfortable is to take the MSF course and then get a small bike like a 250... or a scooter if you are getting it for the options it gives you and not cause you are scared.

I'm a noob myself tho :dunno:

4. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

I started with a scooter (2005 Piaggio BV200), and it did help me a lot with getting comfortable riding in traffic. But I also quickly outgrew it, and then when I got a bike (1984 Honda Magna VF1100), I knew what to do around cars, but I had to get used to a lot of different controls. The scooter had the same throttle and front brake, but instead of the rear brake being on the left handgrip like the scooter had, it's now on the right foot, and the clutch is where that brake used to be, not to mention the whole shifter on the left foot, so the hands do different things, and the feet go from doing nothing to having important jobs. Honestly, if I had it to do over again, I'd start right off with a bike and skip the scooter, maybe something in the 250-600cc range. That's something else that takes a lot of getting used to is the power difference between the scooter and the bike, but I did go from a 200cc single cylinder to a 1100cc V4.

5. squid

squid braap

Scooters are limited in scope and really no safer. I'd get a small motorcycle, much more useful, better experience, and much more stable at speed.

6. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

I have a CBR125R and let me tell you, I would rape a monkey to be able to have a CBR150R. Where do you live that you have access to one?

7. Matt550

Matt550 New Member

I just went through all this myself. I bought a 125cc scooter, for saving money on gas and short commuting. Worked GREAT for that. I discovered pretty quick that I really enjoyed riding, so I sold the scooter after 3 weeks :o and bought a 600cc yamaha FZ6. I would recommend a bike, take a MSF course and see how that goes. My cousins and I took the course first then bought bikes.

8. Netwit

Netwit Pass the Kerbango

Bay Area, it's on CL.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/668145830.html

I actually saw your post on the 125, and that inspired me to go hunting.

9. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

God dizzam! Not a bad price for that bike either. Id say check it out, if it looks good, make your offer. Im always saying that my 125 could use just a bit more power. The 150 seems dead on perfect. Only downside is that I think its carburated. But I could be wrong. Fuel injection will do a lot for emissions and fuel economy.

10. Netwit

Netwit Pass the Kerbango

You might like this.

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/Upgrading-a-Honda-CBR-125R-to-a-CBR-150R

11. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

I have seen this before. Problem is that when you mod the FI engine you have to remap the computer settings. Basically to make it work, I would have to buy another thing(no idea if anyone even makes one) to modify the injection system.

At the end of the day, the Ninja 250 would be cheaper.

So you look at that 150 yet? Let us know how it goes.

12. Trey-D

Trey-D New Member

start out like most of the rest of us and get a ninja 250 or 500

great starter bikes!

13. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

just get the bike cause your not really any safe in fact prob more danger cause the scooter doesn't have the capabilitys to get yourself out of situations the bike would