Getting new wheels, which wheel size to choose?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Jay487, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Jay487

Jay487 What's Life If You Ain't Enjoyin' It?

Looking to get a set of wheels and tires for a 98 Camry. Nothing gaudy, but my question is how concerned should I be with matching up the overall diameter or the tire and wheel with a new set? How much will it throw my speedometer off and is it a big concern?

I have the formula to determine the overall tire diameter... it has 15'' stock wheels and if I get 18's with 225/40's theywould match the overall diameter to .4 of an inch... but I think 19's or 20's might look better on the car.

Any input from experience? This is my first time altering stock wheels on a vehicle.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  2. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

depends if its lowered or not. its not awd so you shouldnt have many problems, just make sure it doesnt hit your brakes. also, maybe check out the eastern imports forum.

3. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

is the car otherwise stock in appearence? Big ass wheels look goofy on cars with stock ride height. If you are just looking for an apearence upgrade, go with 17s. Tire prices for 18"+ are quite a bit higher than 17" and below.

4. Jay487

Jay487 What's Life If You Ain't Enjoyin' It?

yeah, stock - heres a photoshopped pic with some wheels that I might get ( I made the picture so that I could see what the car looked like with these wheels)
    - about what size wheel would give it this ratio of car to wheel size? If that makes any sense.... lol

[​IMG]