Getting my shit together

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by DVS Man, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVS Man

DVS Man Where the fuck is Battle Cat?

Finally deciding that I want a healthy life and a better looking body that I am so envious of all of you F&N OGs in here. I used to be a soccer player, went to college to play, and tore my ACL. Weight piled on, and I check in at 222 @ 5'11. I smoked my last cigarette, and went to buy groceries containing:

10 cans of tuna, carrots, mixed salad, egg whites, and a ton of bananas.

I know that cardio will most likely be key accompanied with a great diet as well. I know when you quit smoking cigarettes you are more inclined to put on weight, so I will have to counteract that scenario with a ton of cardio.
    I don't have a simple # of lbs I want to lose over a certain # of months. I just want to lose fat steadily. I will browse through these stickies which seem to be written by God from what I see how you all respect them.
    With a diet that consists mostly of what I bought for my first trip to the groceries, am I missing any key ingredients? I have read a lot about the importance of flax oil, omega 3, and multivitamins. Are these essential in a fat burning diet/lifestyle change? Thanks for whatever answers I get. :wavey:

2. DVS Man

3. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

60%, 75% it really doesn't fucking matter....if you're diet is in check you can drop fat without ever stepping on a treadmill...some sort of cardio is good for overall health though...

the diet/routine in the "who wants to be a bodybuilder" sticky would work nicely for you...

the diet is planned out and proven and the routine is a damn solid one too...

good luck!

4. uptownbill

uptownbill OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (treo: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

get some carbs in there so you don't pass out. oats and whole wheat shit will work.

5. DVS Man

thx for the advice. As I read all these stickies for routines and such, I'll find one I like, then find something else that seems as productive, so I change my mind. When I think a body builder, I think of a huge friggin guy with muscles bulging like Ahnold. I really want to drop to around 195 or so before I feel I should be putting on muscle weight. In a diff routine I saw that you might drop 2 lbs a week b/c of all the fat you are losing, but it being counteracted by muscle growth. Same thing w/ this routine?

6. DVS Man

I have an appointment with a trainer at my gym, Courts Plus today. Two free sessions to measure BFI and to discuss what I want to do. I've been so out of the weight lifting loop. I haven't pushed and pulled shit for about 6+ years. To be explained what each exercise I want to do is and how it is performed should be a good building block.

7. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

What routine you do is reall secondary to diet when fat loss is concerned. The main thing is you want the routine to be balanced and evenly hit all of your entire body, which the BB'er routine does. Also, it s simple and easy to follow.

8. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

also....most trainers are fucking idiots...I hope you find a decent one...

9. Abomb

Abomb New Member

10. DVS Man

just met w/ him. he looked like he was in great fucking shape, but yeah not much to talk to. I asked him a lot of questions, like how much weight should i start with when doing my sets. He never really gave me a straight forward answer. He told me to do 3x12 for all exercises. Breaking up

Monday: Chest/Tri
    Tues: Legs
    Wednes: Back/Bi
    Thurs: Shoulders

Cardio 3-5 times a week, an ab workouts everyday if I can. He told me I'd notice differences in four weeks. My BFI ended up being 21.4% :fattyface:, but he said it'd be easy to drop that down to 20%. Good advice?

11. Abomb

Abomb New Member

i think you would see better results working out for 2 days then resting one day versus working out 4 straight days in a row which i think is retarded but thats my 2 cents.

12. dumbaznboy

dumbaznboy New Member

uhm i would just lift and eat right.

been working for me.

(225+++ to about 170-175 in a year-ish*)

*i say this cuz ive been serious about diet/exercise for said length of time

13. Mippity

Mippity New Member

I think one of the most important things is just to remember to take it slow. I wouldn't go to a super strict diet, lifting 4x per week and cardio 5 times a week overnight. IMHO that is a recipe for a quick exit. I also second abombs suggestion for a days rest in between lifting.

14. Abomb

Abomb New Member

i tried the 4 days in a row lifting about 6 months into my lifting. by thursday/friday, i felt like complete shit. never working out for more than 2 days in a row has me feeling great pretty much all of the time. then again, its nice having the days in between when you are squatting deading and benching all the time heh

15. DVS Man

Well I've decided to take my day off on Wednesday. I think that'll fit well after a leg day. He did say that during the course of the week, I can do minor workouts with half the weight, but same # of reps 48-72 hrs after the initial day to train for that part of the body. Does 3 sets of 12 for all exercises seem like good advice? Also, how will I know what weight I should be starting out on for every machine?

16. Fireman68w

Fireman68w Banned

3x12 is a little high. Try for heavier weight and lower reps to get stronger. I would also not stick solely on machines. Try some squats/deadlifts.

17. Mippity

Mippity New Member

First do a light weight to ensure correct form ... then go up until you either cannot lift the weight for 12 or are using bad form because it is so much weight. It's trail and error

18. DVS Man

That's what I'm going to do. I'll put some good cardio in today looking forward to Chest/tri on Monday. Over the weekend I'll focus more on cardio and what exercises I'll be doing over the course of the week. He told me to get familiar w/ the possible ways to work out each part of your body, pick three of them for each, then do those 3x12. So like chest will be Bench, Butterfly, incline bench. Just a thought.

19. DVS Man

Just got back from day 1, going to start a journal here soon. Since I made Wednesday my breakday, i changed friday to shoulder day. So I did 3 x 12 for military press, incline press, and dumbell press. 40 lbs per exercise, i know its weak, but i haven't lifted in 6 years. After the 9 sets, I quickly jumped on the Eliptical for 30 min. Burned 440 cals and HR was around 168. Felt great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.