SRS Getting my father help

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Spiritus, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

My father has post traumatic stress disorder. He and his co workers had to clean up the site of crash. Many soldiers his own age, men and woman where killed while being flown back to their homes. Terrorism was suspected...

When I became 'rebellious' during puberty we fought a lot. I felt a lot of pain emotionally and physically, not to mention spilt blood and police visits.

I eventually became avoidant of him and as I grew up, but now that I'm physically capable of delivering real damage we have a more positive relationship. No more hard feelings.

But he still has serious issues. During councelling a shrink put him on some oldschool tricyclic antidepressants, they obviously felt he needed it. He stopped taking them and does not like the medications.

I don't care if he gets on medication or not. But I do want him to get help. I want him to change, permanenetly, for the better.

Winter is the worse. He can be abusive towards my sisters, moreso verbally, and he seems to constantly trying to bring everyone around him down. Maybe because he hates seeing people happy.

It's becoming unbearable for my mom and the days he is out we have an unbeleivably happy household. We get along fine and life is good.

I am gonna see my shrink tommorow, I'll ask him about this too. I don't want my dad going to mine for obvious reasons... but I'm sure I'll get some help from him.

I need your help. He doesn't think he needs help. How can I convince him to just see someone and let them take it from there? What should I say, how should I approach this?

Should I book an appointment and tell him about it during this confontation? Should I show him examples of what he is doing?

2. Myst

Myst New Member

My Dad was kinda mean like that when I was a teenager. He also drank alot. He had a heart attack fairly young, and his heart was damaged so severly he ended up on a disability. For my father, a hard worker all his life, it was like a death sentence.
    He was morose & seemed to enjoy the family upheaval he would cause. We used to say he wasn't happy until everyone was in their rooms crying.
    Anyway, while under observation in the hospital while undergoing a change of heart medications, they realized my Dad had diabetes.
    To make a long story short, once he started eating properly (he never did need insulin, he was damn determined to take care of it himself) and they put him on some antidepressants he was a new man.
    He mellowed & started to embrace life, and I was able to make a whole new relationship with him.
    I guess what I'm saying is that there could be medical issues at work here. Diabetes can cause depression & moodiness. It could be your father has something affecting his heath. The first start is a complete physical.
    Don't wait on this. My fathers heart finally gave out last year & I wish I had much more time to get to know the real him.
    Life is short.
    The time we have with the ones we love may not last forever. I hope this works out for you.
    *hugs*
    Myst.

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I don't know if he likes to goto church or to go out, but he definitly needs to do things that will make his mind go at ease again ,maby you can take him out to the superbowl or something , or other major events in your town, maby he will like that. A fresh breeze outside, or taking walks in nature so he can process all the horrible thigns he has experienced, and looking forward to the future and doing happy things together with his son, might be able to make him more happy again. You could stress that he shouldn't be so abusive, and you can show some tokens of love for him.