Getting into track days / autocross / run-what-you-brung events...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Oman4x4, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Oman4x4

Oman4x4 Active Member OT Supporter

Sep 22, 2004
    Ok, I've been doing the 4x4 thing for a while now, learnt to drive in the Jeep, still drive the Jeep. I feel I've got good control over it, can even slide it quite well and mastered some good techniques for the dunes too... I feel I'm a decent driver.

I also want to get into sports cars soon though. If things go to plan I should be in a position to pick up an '05 Mustang in 6 months to a year... it's a beautiful car and I love it, so I don't wanna f*** it up :big grin:

It is going to be quite different... for a start being that low to the ground will take a while to get used to I'm sure. It's faster than anything I'm used to... I want to avoid damaging the car and myself.

At the same time, I don't wanna be driving a V8 Mustang and only use it as a daily driver, but then I don't want to be doing things too stupid on the roads or get myself in too much trouble with the local cops. The cruisers have gun turrets :noes: Good thing about the Wrangler was I can legally have a lot of fun off road in it.

The good news is we have a couple decent tracks in the United Arab Emirates we can use, so if I get the car I want to attend all the events going on... My question is are these track-days generally suited to help out "newbies" ? Am I going to be pissing off a lot of people by starting off slow or do they generally have time slots for different classes of capabilities and so on?

How do you get into the autosport activities? I don't wanna be in way over my head if I turn up to my first track-day in a relatively new car...

The Dubai Autodrome has advanced driving schools and I'd definitely go through that... What else is worth ticking off?

Also what safety mods are usually required for daily-driver motorsport? I'm not going to gut the interior and be left with just a cage and a bunch of autometer gauges... What's normally done beyond crash helmet and a fire extinguisher?

Help out a complete beginner that wants to do it properly in a foreign land :eek3: :bigthumb: