Getting into running and better cardio/respiratory shape

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Pen Is Mightier, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have started running and noticed I am out of shape...what can I do to get into better shape as fast as possible? I am starting Army PT in late September and would not like to embarass myself.

I am 6'4" @ 185 -- not fat, but would like to drop BF % but that will happen on it's own...not my main concern. Main concern is to work on breathing and not being out of breath as fast. My legs do not get tired from running really but I get out of breath fairly quickly. I wish to be able to run 2-3 miles without stopping at all and not be like completely dead afterwards.

I have good running shoes and all and have started doing the stairs at the gym...it's like the endless stair case...I do it on a speed where I do ~100 flights in 20 minutes...this has made my legs stronger but I don't know if it helps much for respiratory conditions. :dunno: I also do leg press, calf raises and squats.

I also do eliptical and biking and obviously running every now and then when it's not too hot outside.

2. Also -- anyone feel/look fatter/bloated after cardio? I drink a ton of water and am taking creatine through Fast Twitch. :dunno:

3. daneeyah

daneeyah Guest

I've never felt bloated/fatter after cardio.. usually its the opposite actually.

The more you run then the more you'll find that you can go longer distances without stopping. Maybe other guys here can help you with better advice, but I just find that if I'm consistent with running 1/2 mile then within a week a week I can do 3/4 mile comfortable, etc..

I also do HIIT with a treadmill. That has helped me build endurance as well.
    So like 2 mins of running, 30 secs/1 min rest.. and you can just adjust those times with how you feel.

Thats what I find works for me :dunno:

4. That's what I've been doing...just keep running until I feel like shitty or start slowing down and then walk/jog slowly until I can get going again...

I guess practice makes perfect? I was just looking for maybe other workouts that would help more with the respiratory aspect of the running.

I also have lower back pain and I've been doing stretches and some light lifts to hopefully get it to go away. I think it is sore from work where I bend over a lot and do lots of lifting of boxes/metal.

5. Silmatharien

Silmatharien OT Supporter

I would do lots of running. Also, 185 @ 6'4" is pretty skinny.

6. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

Try some swimming.

7. I am skinny with some size to me but I want to be cut.

8. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

When you run set out for 3 miles, slow when you need but push to keep going. You'll soon be able to hit 3 miles without stopping.

IBCeazesayshumanbodysnotmeanttorunlongdistances

9. My left hip bone in the rear kind of near my back feels like it is so fucked....I am dead I think. Or I just injured my back, either or.

10. Frazz

Frazz New Member

ok its all bout doing it everyday.

fuck weather... if your going into the army, you really think they gonna care if you dont like running if its hot out... have the same ideology as you do by getting in shape now, prepare for the worst.

just push yourself try farther and/or faster every day. i didnt run for 6 months... couldnt do a mile without stopping cuz of how out of breath i was. now its the legs give out after say 9 miles... so yeah. haha

change up your cardio. (run/bike/hitt/swim/jump rope[no homo]) do at least one a day, followed by a short run

when going for short runs and shorter workouts try breathing in nose but out mouth... i read somewhere (mens health maybe) it increases lung capacity.

stairs are a bad ass workout but also look into wind sprints.

also if i drink alot of water after my run i do tend to look a lil bloated. but that usualy disipates quickly

11. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

CrossFit lulz

12. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

But for serious - CrossFit is a great test prep for military, LEO, and fire

13. Ribbie

Ribbie OT Supporter

I always feel leaner after cardio. Much like my arms feel huge after I work them. Sadly, there's not much of a difference. :hs:

14. My stomach is like the size of a quarter after I go running...which is annoying because I usually eat dinner after I work out.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. :) Today is not a running day but if I get to the gym early enough I will probably do some running after my chest/tri/shoulder workout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.