A&P Getting into paid sport photography

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by wisie, Jan 15, 2007.

1. wisie

wisie New Member

I quite enjoy university but am wanting to do something else for a few years and just have a break from education and would love to give sports photography a try.

Im just wondering if you guys could give me any advice on the best way to get a job shooting sport? Im thinking my best bet would be to get a folio together and go from there but how do you get noticed?

Cheers

2. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

You have a better chance of winning the lottery or getting hit by lightning than to become in any way successful shooting sports. Actually you might win the lottery AND get hit by lightning before getting a decent job as a sports shooter.

If you are really really nice to Hash Browns and VWpilot they might give you advice. I think hashy might require an altar erected in his name though...

Watch this in the interim: http://www.sportsshooter.com/special_feature/zagaris/index9.html (great advice)

3. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

i've found that most sports photographers only work on assignment and carry on other jobs. Unless you get set up with a sports team as their only home photographer, it doesn't seem as easy as it looks. and the home photographers don't get paid as well as you think...the 2 photographers they have for the Padres do it as a side job.

4. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

competitive market so don't expect any miracles immediately.

you have better luck shooting for a local paper. if you want practice, you'll have to market yourself to high school and division 2 colleges to get started.

5. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

OT is my Temple :nikko:

6. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

Now seriously, there's pretty much two types of sports images. One set displays vision and forethought before execution, the other is simply action for action's sake.

7. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

stay in college

8. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Sports shooting is a tough gig. Unless you are truly exceptional or know somebody in the right position, starting out and making a real living is pretty much guaranteed NOT to happen.

But you are on the right track. Put together a portfolio and start to shop it around. Your best bet will likely be agencies, but you can try you local papers or magazines.

However, none of those in and of themselves will generally pay the bills. But if you are willing to work another job and get to do sports shooting on the weekends, then maybe it will work for you.

Make sure you try to avoid working on spec though, that means working on speculation...ie working for nothing up front in hopes that you might sell something afterward.

This is a win win for the agencies as they dont have to pay you a thing, unless you sell something for them. All you expenses are out of your pocket and then you hope you sell something to make up for it, the agency spends zero money and then when you sell something they make money off you...so win win for them, generally lose, lose for you.

Try to get gigs paying in advance, that is the only way you will likely start to make money.

Good luck.

9. Mr_Penut

Mr_Penut Elitist Member OT Supporter

know the sport you want to shoot

I can shoot bikes 100x better than I can shoot basketball, as with bike riding, I know the riders next move, and can prepare for it:)

10. wisie

wisie New Member

:bowdown: OT

Thanks guys you have just pulled me out of dream world and brought me down to earth. I think I will pursue uni for now and just try do a bit of shooting on my weekends and just play it by ear.

Do we have any sport photographers / newspaper photographers here?

11. Mr_Penut

Mr_Penut Elitist Member OT Supporter

I shoot a lot of bike riding, but thats not really "sports" (like football :o)

12. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

Yes, and two of them already gave you advice.