MMA Getting into MMA

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by LDUB, Nov 26, 2006.

1. LDUB

LDUB Guest

Im looking into taking classes at a local gym (No Limits). Would it be smarter for me to take BJJ for a couple months to get into the whole scene, or just jump right into the Muay Thai/Kick Boxing classes. I go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week also, so what would be good for a begginer.

2. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

bjj is easier, you don't get hit as much. If you can do both that and muay thai then go for it.

3. LDUB

LDUB Guest

ya i think im gonna do muay thai, get used to being hit, whatever, i can take it

4. LDUB

LDUB Guest

i'm just doing it as more of a hobby/getting fit type thing. I figure if im working out 4-5 times a week, whynot put the muscle to use and learn to fight...

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

If you're doing it as a hobby then it's up to you. Which do you find more fun-- striking or grappling?

If you're doing it for fun-- do you consider sparring and getting hit fun? Would you be able to spar and enjoy it as a way of learning and improving your skills?

6. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

start with whatever you suck at more.

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I wish I had taken wrestling in high school, because I've always trained in striking and I'm like a fish out of water on the ground. Had I started earlier then I'd be much more well rounded.

8. LDUB

LDUB Guest

well I think striking would be more realistic for me to take. I would actually use it when the time came, I dont think ive ever seen anyone have a grappling match haha. I think i'm gonna do muay thai

9. xinster

xinster New Member

im goin with this guy, but seems like youve made up your mind