A&P Getting into DSLR Photography. v. Sports

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by MCDGexx, Aug 16, 2009.

1. MCDGexx

MCDGexx Crazyquack

Well I'm coming home off deployment from Afghanistan tomorrow, and i'm looking at getting the new Canon 50D. Since I want to get into shootings sports, specifically motocross, racing, and paintball, i'm leaning more toward the 50D than the lower models for the higher rate of fire, and pixels will give me alot of room to play with shots, as well as a great camera to grow into as I improve. Was looking at getting the more expensive kit with the 18-200mm lens, but now I'm leaning more toward the cheaper kit, and buying a used 100-400mm lens off a Marine I work with, said it was about a 1400 dollar lens and he'd sell it for around 1000. Just curious if anybody had any advice on the situation.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  2. The Great Deceiver

The Great Deceiver 21st Century Schizoid Man

Oh and it should have an image stabilizer

3. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Well, firstly I would wait a little bit until the 60D comes out. Second, I would start with something like the 70-200 f2.8L IS. Id you need more lens after that you can get something like the 1.4x extender or invest in 100-400 or even one of the 300mm lenses. just my 02.

4. MCDGexx

MCDGexx Crazyquack

If this wasn't my first DSLR I would wait, but I don't have something to hold me over till then till a damn near broken 7.2mp point and shoot sony that Afghanistan pretty much killed. I've looked at the 40D but losing the extra megapixels for only saving 200 isn't really that worth it to me.

5. MCDGexx

MCDGexx Crazyquack

6. wrong1

wrong1 Member

Id go 40d (if I shot canon). Megapixels arent that important unless you crop the hell out of your images, or print really large. Actually I would get a used 5d. Can not beat it for the $. I know the frame rate isnt as fast, but the the IQ and FF sensor make up for it.

7. MCDGexx

MCDGexx Crazyquack

what does the 40d have over the 50d specifically. Considering I can actually get the 50d for as cheap as I can get a 40d on amazon, but i'll most likely purchase through costco.

8. Bloke

Bloke Banned

lenses are more important that body, and i think used has the best value on both, but even more so for lenses.

9. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

IS/VR doesn't help sports at all :hsugh:

10. wrong1

wrong1 Member

Im a nikon guy, so maybe some canon shooters can chime in on this. The main thing I always hear about is that the 40d has cleaner high iso images... which chances are if you are shooting a lot of sports you probably bump the iso a lot to keep shutter speeds up. I just looked on amazon too.. and there is only like a $10 dif between 40d and 50d. I know a little while back with msn cash back people were getting 40d bodies for around $600.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  11. MCDGexx

MCDGexx Crazyquack

I'd love to get the D300 but its just too much, so i'm gonna stick with the 50d, i'm sure it'll do more than i'd expect for quite some time. Any lens suggestions? As far as having multiple lenses?

12. MCDGexx

MCDGexx Crazyquack

Well I ended up going with a Nikon D90 as well as a 70-300mm telephoto lens, I love it so far, still getting used to everything, nothing worthy to post yet haha. What are some must have accessories? I know so far I need a decent Tri-pod, speedlight, and a 2nd battery.

13. wrong1

wrong1 Member

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  14. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

2nd battery isn't really that important, you should be able to get 1000+ images out of 1 battery. If you're going to grip it )which makes a world of difference) then yeah get a 2nd battery.

a Good wide angle lens will make you happy. Right now, based on your post you don't have anything for up close. Get a 50, or a 35mm prime if you don't want to drop big dollar on a good lens.

15. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

Firstly, Thank you for serving our country. I really appreciate it. So thank you.

Secondly for the kinds of sports you want to shoot. (mainly paintball) I would suggest a 1dmkii body. AF is superior to that of the 40d and its much more rugged.

the 1dmkii body can be had for a couple hundred bucks more than the 40d. I would suggest a 70-200 2.8L IS, and maybe a 1.4 teleconverter. This should be your starting point. the 100-400 is ok, but in the conditions you want to use it, it may very well end up with lots of dust issues. Especially in the motoX.

edit: ooops should have read the whole thread. Enjoy the d90, i hear its a fantastic camera.

16. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

I have shot alot of sports and so far I find the 70-200 leaves me pretty far away, although on a crop body you will have a little extra reach which should do you pretty good, add in a 1.4x and you should be good. Right now I am fishing for a 400 or 600 prime.

Also take a monopod, because even with only the 70-200 after a couple hours of shooting with it, your shoulders/upper back will start to bother you and you will get lazy and not keep it up and tracking the action, and thus end up missing a shot.

Cheers.

17. MCDGexx

MCDGexx Crazyquack

lol after flying for 7-8 hours on the back of a helicopter with a 60 pound flak on my back i think I can handle a few hours at the races with a camera haha, definitely wanna invest in a good tri-pod though.

18. nindia

nindia OT Supporter

I have a 50D

If I could go back...I'd have just gotten the 5D Mark I

19. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

60D should be announced in 1-8 days.. you should wait at least until the announcement. 50D certainly won't go up in price after the announcement, but it could go down.

20. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

:werd: the AF on the 50D is on the slow side, which will quickly get frustrating for a sports shooter. It's already become frustrating for me, and i don't shoot sports.

21. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

2 things. ISO performance, and lightening fast AF.

22. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

You will love it until you begin shooting the sports you wanted.

I am unsure if you got the VR or the non-VR. If you got the VR, well you bought the better of the 2. If the non-VR is anything like the Canon 70-300 - you are better off removing the the glass and converting it into a Fleshlight.

From what I understand, the D90 is a helluva camera, but the non VR is just poor glass and neither lens has the aperature to really allow you the ability to get nice low light super fast shutters or the blur you may want to isolate your people in the frame