Getting headaches while dieting.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by AKing, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKing

AKing It's like we've got each others backs

dieting right now to slim down for the spring / summer. Been on my diet for about 2 days and i've been having headaches on both days. I eat about 2000-2200 calories and i've worked out both mornings. Weights one day and cardio the next.

In the last hour i had a huge headache were i almost wanted to throw up even when my stomach was empty. But the headache went away after i had a little bit of spanish corn bread.

I figured either my blood sugar is too low on this diet or i'm not getting enough calories. Anyone ever have this situation?

A majority of my foods are complex carbs (oatmeal, Whole Grain wheat bread) Some protein (tuna, whey, chicken breast) and fats (Peanut butter, olive oil)etc....

2. forum95

forum95 Come see bout us OT Supporter

Did you cut out caffeine after heavy consumption in the past?

3. Rumbaar

Rumbaar Inherent Omniscience OT Supporter

I see you mentioned complex carbs, I know when I severely reduced my carbohydrates it caused me to get headaches.

4. peoplescar

peoplescar Guest

are you starving yourself? if you are making a radical change in diet you may get a headache or two but a lot of times my headaches come from being dehydrated. if you are eating enough and eating healthy try to hydrate yourself more and see what happens.

when dieting don't starve yourself. :o

5. wholefnshow

wholefnshow New Member

I know when I started to cut my caloric intake (to about 1800), I had a headache for about the first week. I would just take an excedrin or two each day. Its been about a month now & haven't had any other headaches besides the first week.

6. AKing

I barely drink coffee, and if i do its about maybe like twice a year. :hs:

though i do drink soda atleast once a week. It definitely is not dehydration since i drink about a quart of water and other various liquids throughout the day (lowfat 1% skim milk or 1 cup of 100% cranberry juice, cleans the kidney's) Its definitely a mix of whether or not its sugar or caloric intake.

I'm 240 Pounds, I'm definitely over 25% body fat so i know im fat. I want to try and eat 1800 cals but the problem lies in getting these headaches. Theres something about me reducing calories or sugar that hits me hard when it comes to headaches. I'm sure its calories though.

Is 2000-2300 cals to low. I mean i've done the caloric calculations and it seems like those digits would be fine.

7. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

2000/12 = 166
    (that 12 is from "12 cal/pound/day" number) so you're probably pushing the envelope on having enough calories.
    do you feel light-headed, and have trouble concentrating? that's usually a sign of low blood sugar. I recently started a restricted calorie diet myself, but haven't noticed any headaches. the big problem is around 2:30, or 3, where I'll be light headed and sleepy for a while (still no headache)

8. Thomas Crenshaw

Thomas Crenshaw New Member

let your body adjust to the diet, and string out the meals throughout the day so your eating small portions often..are you taking any fishoil or anything

9. AKing

no, but i should. Re-did my calculations. I'm definitely taking in little calories. I was taking about 1900-2000 after i recalculated. I should be taking in 2400-2600.

I do moderate lifting (just starting) with about 45 mins of brisk walking every day. Overall i wasn't eating enough to maintain my daily energy needs. I was pretty much eating at BMR while doing a shit ton of stuff through out the day.

Today i re-adjusted my diet with more calories and i feel a whole lot better. :hsd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.