Getting free laptop, need info on LINUX!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Valence, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Comaq armada 1570 - ? w/ 200 mhz intel mmx proc. 64 mb ram and 3 gig-sh drive

Where would I find good deals on laptop drives? Can't upgrade the ram more than 64, so that's out

Also, really getting this to learn linux.. Do any linux guru's think it could handle a linux gui without a significant drop in an already low performance?

What version/s of linux should I get, I am looking at redhat, like mandrake from the specs and details... anything else I should consider, i will need basically the equivalent of Word and web development apps, and it has to interface with ethernet pcmcia card.. :x:

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

it doesn't much matter what distribution of linux you use, but the window manager you use for X will determine whether you can do much. window maker might be a good choice

http://xwinman.org/wmaker.html

3. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

any thoughts on which platform i should use, which would be the easiest to use or install for the linux noob?

4. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

Red Hat is a pretty easy Install for people. Give that a shot.. If you dont' like it, dump it and try another..

5. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Check out http://www.linux-laptop.net/ and see what they used and what potential problems you face with which distros. They usually find the problems, then tell you what they are and how to fix them.

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

SuSE is a very friendly install, shouldn't have too many problems, even on a laptop. And for a nice light window manager, try XFCE (http://www.xfce.org).

7. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Most guis on that are going to be hella slow. The reason is 64 MB of RAM is nothing, and laptops always have slow harddrives. As soon as that thing starts to swap it is over.

If you really want to do it use a light weight WM like fluxbox or window maker. KDE or Gnome will be a completle disaster.

8. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

so the windows managers are basically stripped down gui's then?
    Problem is, laptop is free and therefore I will use it, but I cannot add more ram to it.
    You think adding a larger hard drive would help system performance related to the gui?

9. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

not much - ram is your biggest problem