getting files off a Raid 0 setup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dan avoN7, Jul 19, 2006.

1. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

turned my computer off last night, turn it on this morning and now i cant get into windows. goes past the windows screen but as soon as the blue login page starts to appear then computer blue screens saying something about a memory dump and then it restarts.

so right now i put in an old drive and am installing windows xp on it. my main drive before were 2 WD raptors running in raid 0. is it possible to hook them up and record files off them or because they were the primary drives running in raid 0 am i now screwed? i want to hook it up as if they were a slave ide drive, wasnt sure if this is possible with sata drives running in raid 0

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

"0" is not a valid form of RAID. RAID is an acronym for "Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks" Level "0" fails to satisfy the requirement of redundancy.

For this reason, you cannot simply connect a drive as slave and recover data.

3. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

well what i was trying to say was, can i boot from the harddrive i installed windows on and still access the raid array. so it would be "like" a slace drive.

it worked. i have widnows running on a normal IDE drive and just hooked up with two drives that were running raid and i can access the drive. I had it running raid 0, so 2 drives which act as 1.

Now the question is, how do i access the desktop folder. I can access every file on the drives except for documents and settings/dan avon (main user) everytime i try to open this folder it says access denied. I remember i did this once before and did something to access it. i just forgot :(

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

take ownership of the folder.

really tho, don't use FAID0.

5. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

nm i remembered how. i just needed to take ownership of the folder.

6. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

hah yea i remembered right after i posted. yea now i know not to. i did it awhile back as i read it helped speed up transfers from drives to drives and other performance when doing editing and stuff. it ran great for over a year and i have been meaing to format the drives recently but i guess something went wrong with one of the boot files. at least the good news is i can copy the files off the drive and save all my work

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

recent studies show that FAID0 doesn't provide any signifigant performance benefit, and pose a very signifigant reliability risk.

8. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

Raid 0 has it's place though....for people with multiple drives that would prefer to control them as one. Some residential clients I have come across just want more space without separating folders or drives for various files like media. RAID 0 will let you add more hard drives and still allow 1 folder access to all.

I wouldn't run it personally, but I have had to set it up for others in the past.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

those are the worst people to let use FAID0, imo... Those are the ones that do not fully appreciate the danger their data faces, and those are the ones with "priceless" photos and who always cry the hardest when their data gets borked.

10. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Last time I checked, once the RAID 0 was setup, you couldn't add more drives since it splits the data equally across them, hence why it has piss poor scalability.

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

RAID 0 is good for working directories for video editing, where you have long sequential reads. There are a few other situations where this could be the case too, when working with lots of media.

Its not good for much else.

12. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

For HOME PC software/controllers, yes that's correct. Business/enterprise class, you add as many columns as you want whenever you want and let it re-layout the data on the new lun. This applies to RAID, not VRAID of course.

13. AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor Active Member

Raid 60 Ftw
    (not really for home use tho).

I run two SATA 250GB in a RAID 0 as my primary partition.
    Then i backup to a 250GB IDE RAID 1. -it's slow but it works.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Uhhh...

Why would you do that and not just run a big RAID 10?

15. AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor Active Member

Mobo doesn't allow me to mix IDE and SATA in a RAID config.

16. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

More to the point - how do you back up 500 gigs onto 250 gigs?

17. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

NTFS file compression.

18. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Buy a real RAID card -- or a new motherboard with four or five RAIDable SATA ports -- and use that for your hard drive setup. As much as I like suggesting that everybody and their grandmother should have a RAID, it's definitely not something to take a halfassed approach to.

You might want to un-mirror your 250GB drives, so you can have enough room to store all your shit for the time being. Just use them as two separate drives.

19. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Raid 0 isn't raid? Oh okay. LMAO!!

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it is NOT RAID.

RAID stands for "REDUNDANT Array of Inexpensive Disks"

Please explain how FAID0 in any way addresses redundancy? It does not!

21. Schproda

Schproda New Member

So Raid 1 with two disks isn't Raid also? Or Raid 1+0? So the Compaq 3200 Smart Array controller that's dealing with TWO disks isn't a RAID controller either? Stop reading your computer geek book of definitions and find the right description. I knew what RAID stood for probably 20 years ago.

22. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

I use raid0 and my read speeds went up from 109mbs to 181mbs.... True real world performance doesnt make a big difference, but I do alot of big file reading on these drives and the "butt dyno" we'll call it seems to show a bit of improvement. They are 2 250gb seagates

edit: according to HDD tach

23. Schproda

Schproda New Member

I use "RAID 1+0" on my 2003 domain controller and on the second server I run other apps on. Microsoft's tech support acknoweledged it as RAID, Compaq recognizes it as RAID, so...it must be RAID.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're a fucking moron. RAID1 *is* RAID because it is a REDUNDANT ARRAY of INEXPENSIVE DISKS.

Redundant = drive fails, data still there. RAID1 meets this requirement.

Array = Drive's linked together in a logical way. RAID1 meets this requirement.

Inexpensive = subjective, but in the terms of the definition, RAID1 meets this requirement.

Disks = plural, more than one drive. RAID1 meets this requirement.

You're a moron if you think RAID1 isn't RAID. You're also a moron if you think FAID0 is RAID.

25. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Man, your panties are in a twist. Blame the idiot who termed RAID 0 as RAID 0. You're totally right, it's a contradiction of terms - now let it go.