SRS Getting Evicted

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dont Go Away, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Dont Go Away

Dont Go Away New Member

So my landlord called today and said that she would be serving me with an eviction notice tomorrow. I am only 17 days late on the rent and she says I have to be out by July 1st. I have serious anxiety/depression issues that caused me to lose my job and unable to pay bills. I've been trying to find work but no one is really hiring. I've already borrowed from everyone I can. I just got accepted into a great college and I have filled out all of my FAFSA paperwork so I was counting on that to come through to carry me through at least the first semester so I would only have to work part-time or do a work study through school. Since she is serving the papers tomorrow, I am frantically trying to find ways to come up with rent money. I have a few expensive items that I could pawn, but I don't know if that would even get me enough to cover bills. And if it does, I have another rent payment due on July 1st if she lets me stay until then. My other option is trying to find some bank/company that will let me take out a small private loan but most banks aren't accepting applications. Anyone have any ideas? I'm really lost here. :wtc:

2. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

damn dude.. thats a really shitty situation you're in.

hope it works out bro. i'd shit my pants if i was ever put in your shoes.

3. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

4. 7960

7960 New Member

get ready to move back in with mom and pop

5. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

What types of places have you been applying for? I mean have you absolutely tried everything possible? Every gas station, movie theatre, mcdonalds and walmart within driving distance of your apartment? If not, then you havent been trying hard enough.

I know my gf is dealing with unemployment right now. Problem is, she refuses to work at these places because she has a college education, that these jobs are below her. Well im sorry, but 7 dollars an hour is better than 0 dollars an hour. You'd be surprised how easily you can pay rent off minimum wage.

6. Dont Go Away

Dont Go Away New Member

I'm on a month to month contract.

I'm definitely not above these jobs, I'd take anything right now. Problem is a lot of them need more people but can't afford to hire more. I know for sure that Walmart has a hiring freeze going on right now.

7. disley

disley Ooooh no it isn't. Ooooh yes it is. OT Supporter

Life has it's easy and hard times, you must be eligible for unemployment benefits or a student loan, there are church organizations that will help you pay the bills, and the state housing dept should help you out in an emergency.

8. Dont Go Away

Dont Go Away New Member

I have filled out all of my unemployment info so hopefully that will be approved. As far as housing dept, they won't help me because I don't have a kid. I don't have any kind of religious contacts so I dunno where to start and most companies aren't giving out loans right now. =/ Know of any good ones?

I did get ahold of my therapist and she said there might be something her office can do, so waiting to hear back from her.

9. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

have you been approved through FAFSA for a stafford loan? if so, i would go to your college's financial office, and ask them to print you out a copy of the amount of money you've been approved for. hopefully after your college tuition is paid, you'll have more than enough money to pay for rent for a few months. [i'm not sure how much your rent is...]

once you have this paperwork in hand, and you know how much money you'll have left over, go speak with your landlord. tell her that you've had some unfortunate luck with employment and medical issues. explain to her that with the money you're receiving from a college loan, you'll be able to pay the rent. it's completely up to her if she accepts that or not, but it certainly doesn't hurt to try.

i know you're scrambling to find money, but why haven't you mentioned asking mom or dad? i'm just guessing, but it sounds like you're in your early 20's. would they be willing to help you out if you promise to pay them back, or do they not have the funds either?

i'm not sure how much your rent is, but if you were just barely scraping by, maybe it's best you find somewhere else to live. an eviction does not look good on your renting history, so preventing that would be my first priority. if your landlord allows you to stay, i would start looking for something cheaper. i think that's probably in your best interest.

:nono:

i'm in the same boat as your gf. i have been officially unemployed since november 2008, but i've only been actively looking for employment for the past couple of months. i just recently accepted a job offer, but i don't start working for another month. yes, it's safe to assume that i'm not going to settle because i got a job with a great company. i'm still putting out applications. maybe something even better will come along :dunno:. it's nice to have a back-up though.

i can understand where you're gf is coming from. i, too, have not applied at these types of places. i have two b.s. degrees. i can see both sides of this situation. on one hand, your gf and i were unemployed and looking for work, however, on the other hand, we are over-qualified for those types of positions.

i've applied to many companies that were involved in the science industry [my background], some of which required a college degree and some that did not. a lot of times i was called for an interview, but i was told i was over-qualified for those positions that did not require a college degree. it's beneficial for a company to find someone that will not quit once they find better work. it's safe to say your gf and i would take one of those positions but wouldn't stay more than a few months.

if she's collecting unemployment, it's safe to say that she's making more money not working than if she decided to take one of those positions you mentioned.

10. Dont Go Away

Dont Go Away New Member

My FAFSA was just received and I will be getting the Pell Grant for $5300 but that will have to go to tuition. I'll call the FA office in the morning to see if I can get a meeting with an advisor. As for my parents, I don't talk to my dad and my mom has helped me out as much as she can. She doesn't have anything else I can borrow. My rent is pretty cheap and I doubt I'll find anything cheaper. I wasn't really scraping by until all of my mental problems started getting worse and I lost my job. Right now I think the best option is to call the FA office now that they have my paperwork and see what other aid I'm eligible for. I just hope it all comes through soon. Thanks for the advice. Even if it takes a while to get processed, I will talk it over with the landlord.

11. Maximumjmz

Maximumjmz New Member

Some of these places would not hire you if you are over qualify. They know you will quit in a month or so.

12. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

Yeah but there are so many that you will break through.

They'll take your 1 month of hard work.

13. Kafka

Kafka New Member

A month to month lease is called a "periodic tenancy", essentially you do need one full period before she may serve you with eviction papers. Unless your lease, which is likely written, says otherwise?

14. Dont Go Away

Dont Go Away New Member

Any of you know any good student loan companies/websites? I got the rent situation figured out until August 1st so I have to have my shit together by then.