MIL Getting dependants into the deers system and getting them an ID card?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ManinCamo, Jan 8, 2006.

1. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

Recently married and on TDY @ Maxwell AFB, AL. I'm doing inprocessing right now until my ASBC classes start (http://asbc.maxwell.af.mil/). We have a scheduled time to get ID cards (in two weeks) and most of us (new LT's and our dependanats) are carrying around orders for the time being.

What do I have to do to get my wife into the system and get her an id card?

2. ManinCamo

yea, i've been all over the ASBC website, it doesn't go into details or anything.

I could always just go in and see, or call up, but asking OT is so much easier :bigthumb:

3. darnit

darnit New Member

You usually can enroll them at the same place you get your ID card and they can get one there as well. They need a pic ID, birth Cert and marriage cert if a wife/husband. You may have to go through your personnel office as well (depends on the command). But enrolling tem into DEERs is not the same as empanelling them into a primary care provider for medical, FYI.
    If you would also like to do that and dental, those both are separate issues from each other and from deers. But you can’t even begin that without the deers stuff, and it can take up to 45 days to get them into the Medical/Dental system (depends on the day you submit).

4. ManinCamo

I guess I'll just have to go into the personel office. Do I have to be there with my wife, or could she go in without me, but with all the paperwork? Since I'll be in classes/breifings/PT/etc all day, every weekday it will be hard to go in with her.

5. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

And go to the ID card center.

6. darnit

darnit New Member

the only way that she can go in without you is to have another form filled out-cant remeber which one. Most ID places make appointments now, and usually online.

7. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

Yes you have to be there with your wife because you will have to sign the papers for her ID card. It doesn't matter if she has a power of attorney either (this may be different for the Air Force though). As someone stated be sure to bring your marriage license, birth certificate, social security card, picture ID. If it is anything like Army bases be prepared for one to two hours to get it done. Also, my experience has DEERS enrollment in the same place as where you get your ID card done, again I don't know if that will be the same for the Air Force.

8. Nixstress

:dunno: We were both required to be present... trust me, I asked.

9. ManinCamo

They have a schedule for us, on the 21st and 22nd. For the time being, we're supposed to walk around with our orders. I happen to have an old CAC card that says I'm an E-3, so I'm ok, however my wife is walking around with my orders, and a copy of our marriage licence and is having difficulty at some shops on base. I was seeing if I could easily get us in there earlier to at least get her an ID card.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  10. darnit

darnit New Member

they lie. There is a form you can fill out for your dep/ben to get an ID without the service member present. TRUST ME, I have done it x 2.
    It is normally done when the service mem is not around when the ID is needed. IE , lost ID and SMB is on deployment, accross the US, etc.
    But they may not do it since you are there.
    You must know that most E1-E4 that are working the desk dont know shit(most not all),and they would rather say"you need both here", than go ask thier sup how to handle things.
    Friends in personnel FTW!!

11. darnit

darnit New Member

WTF.. the 21/22???
    Talk to the E-6/E-7 that runs the place. 10 more days for a current and correct ID card(and BTW against MIL REGs) for you and yours is unacceptable. If you have all the paperwork, have her drop it off, they should be able to do it in 10 mins. Hell come up to NAES in NJ, I dont work in the ID section or even in personnel, but I cant get both of them in a day or two.. without an appointment.

12. ManinCamo

Problem is, there are 200+ new LT's here that need ID cards. I've got a Lt Col telling me 'no' I can't go in earlier. I even told her that we were having issues using orders as ID. I'll talk with my flight commander tonight and see if I can sneak in :hs:

13. Nixstress

I think since he is inprocessing they will know he is not deployed :hsugh:

Also all the people working the front desk as well as behind the computers taking the info were all civilians, we didn't deal with any enlisted personnel.

14. Nixstress

FYI, this may seem silly but it happens, especially to the newly married spouses. Make sure she signs her ID card with your last name (if she took it) and not her maiden name. It sucks to have to wait another hour to correct the problem after the fact. :o

15. darnit

darnit New Member

This is when as a supervisor , one would set up shift work and get them all done in a few days. But heaven forbid we make people work outside the normal 9-5:wtc: :eek3:

16. ManinCamo

my work day is 0645 - 1730 with a 1 hour lunch :wtc: