Getting data from a damaged cd?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by drunkmike, Jan 17, 2005.

1. drunkmike

drunkmike New Member

I found a CD full of old digicam pics and what not that I have been looking for, since like.. last year but some of the stuff I cant view at all.. The cd has only a few scratches on it, nothing major but only certain dirs on the cd are viewable.. others the cd will grind and whirr and slow the comp down to a crawl and I eventually have to eject the cd to get it to all stop.. any ideas on how I can get the data off the cd? When I try to copy the entire disk I get a bunch of Cyclic Redundancy Check errors.. help please! :bowdown:

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

The only thing you can do is find a drive that WILL read the cd. Try a friends computer, different models can read through crap better than others.

DO NOT use a scratch remover or filler or whatever they have out there. These things do not work on recordable disks, only stamped (store-bought) disks.

3. drunkmike

drunkmike New Member

ok I'll try some other comps then. Thanks for the tip on the filler, I was actually getting ready to head to target to check them out.. I wasnt aware that they are only for stamped media..

4. Afterimage

Afterimage Guest

I'd try using some fine plastic polish and hand polishing the scratches out. It takes a lot of running but you can take cdr's that won't read and turn them into cdr's that will read.