Getting Back

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Fire Factory, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Fire Factory

Fire Factory Guest

Ok, Im not into computers as I use to be, but now im getting back into them :bigthumb:

a couple of questions,

What in the hell is RAID, does it require SCSI drives?
    and what is PCI Express, Should I wait until that comes out to get a new mother borad?

Thanks

2. Apothis

Apothis New Member

RAID= Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disk
    There are like 5 kinds of raid, using different kinds of striping and mirroring, which I don't feel like getting into. It's all about fault tolerance though. Backing up info on several (often hot-swappable) harddrives, so you don't lose everything in a storm or if one drive dies.

Unless you're a server admin for a company, this is pretty much worthless to know. I've never even seen a mobo come with it by default. I think you have to special order it.

PCI express is a new kind of pci they're trying to get out. I believe it is 64-bit, as opposed to the old 32-bit. Also supposed to outperform AGP, so they're starting to make new vid cards for it. It's pricey though. I'd wait until it gets cheaper and more commercially available/supported.

3. Fire Factory

Fire Factory Guest

4. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Nice board for a nice price (if it wasn't Intel, that is! ;)). Get a case in which you can throw in 7 or so hdds, and an OS that supports raid, and you're good to go. But do you really need all that?

5. Fire Factory

Fire Factory Guest

No I dont, I just like that borad, Right now I have a Piece of Shit Shuttle borad :eek:

and so i want to pimp my system, I will be getting more stuff, im looking for DDR400 ram fer cheap to go with it,new case, and 256 mb card, this will all be done with few months time span between each part (with exception of RAM and MB)

6. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Dual-channel DDR400 = teh win

7. Fire Factory

Fire Factory Guest

:big grin: thats what i was thinking, Im a big gammer and do alot of school work

8. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

what kind of budget are you looking to spend on it? what do you all need? a whole new system or just the basics (i.e. tower?)

9. Fire Factory

Fire Factory Guest

I just need a new Tower that can cool reallywell somthing like thermaltake

10. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

WRONG! But, you're not too far off.

Redundant Array of INDEPENDENT Disks. I'm sure there is TONS of info out there, so if you do a google, you'll get a much better response. I'm not sure if it requires SCSI, but it might be helpful to run it that way, since SCSI drives generally operate faster than IDE devices. RAID can be expensive, so you might not need to do it for a home-based PC.

11. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

:werd:

But seriously, so many people have used inexpensive disks, that I have came to accept it when people say that. Originally it was Independent for those old schools.

Oh and no, it doesn't not require SCSI drive... RAID in fact is more of the less physical and logical concept. You can in therory RAID a bunch of CF cards for example.

EDIT: Inexpensive is correct, my brain didn't worked in the morning :slap:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  12. Fire Factory

Fire Factory Guest

Shows how much knowledge ive lost *goes back to school*

13. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

And, they've apparently got hardware AND software versions of RAID, too. But, again, I don't use it, just studied it a bit in college.

14. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Actually 'Inexpensive' is CORRECT!! Drives used in most raids are no longer the less expensive of the drives available and the acronym has evolved to be independent.
    http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/TechRepPages/CSD-87-391
    RAID is not a logical concept, it is purely a physical concept... The word drives may change to cards, chips, computers etc but they are still physical objects that are combined to make one. RAID arrays use multiple physical data storage devices to achieve one of three goals: improved performance, improved redundancy, or both.

You are correct that SCSI or IDE can be used and SCSI can be expensive. A single 146gig scsi drive still runs $500 +/-. The new 300gig drives are running $1500+/- compared to SATA 300gig at $230 or so... SCSI is faster but IDE is catching quickly (with arrays under 4 drives)...

Either way for a home the only thing its really good for is redundancy. The speed is seldom if ever used. In many cases a RAID system maybe slower than a JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) system due to the overhead of raid control.

15. Fire Factory

Fire Factory Guest

Im gonna goto lincoln Tech, To get all the certs :)

16. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

Thanks for the research, Keyzs!