Getting back on the exercise wagon...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by obscure/renegade, Jun 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obscure/renegade

obscure/renegade OT Supporter

Sup y'all.

So at the behest of my brother (he needs a workout partner), I've started exercising again.

Back when I was into lifting, it was all about pushing iron. No cardio, man-pilates, or anything like that was on the schedule. My brother does core, balance, and a little weight work. There's some bike & treadmill warmup & cooldown.

So I guess what I am asking for is some advice/feeedback on this sort of program, so I can help my brother & I maximize our efforts.

• I've already cut out soda, sweet tea, desserts, and most refined sugar. I enjoy fish and several veggies, so I can make some adjustments to my diet. Do I need to go heavy with protein? Are there any trustworthy diet plans online? Do I need to limit carbs or not?

• I'm starting with three days a week to ease back into things. Should this eventually turn into a 5 or 7 day thing? I could exercise every day, but due to my schedule I could not make it happen at the same time every day. Does that matter?

• I am not obese, and I haven't had any major injuries in the past few years, I'm just out of shape! I don't need to be broly, but I'd like a little size with more flexibility and cut this time around. Should I alternate weight days with the core training days, or blend both into the same day?

Let me know what other information I need to provide and I'll fill in the gaps as best as I can. Thanks in advance for your time.

2. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Me personally? I *love* 3x weekly full body for strength. I like Madcow's 5x5 or Starting Strength by Rippetoe. Starting Strength would probably be awesome for you.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

Foods the easy part. 1g/protein per lb of bodyweight, get your veggies, take some fish oil, fill the rest in with yummy stuff.

Good article about estimating maintenance calories, with a lot of other info: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-to-estimate-maintenance-caloric-intake.html

3. daballer2005

daballer2005 New Member

4. Elfling

Elfling New Member

I'm not really a fan of Pur's stuff for people starting out. Plus, BBing and strength, while not completely at odds, have pretty different methodologies and end results.

5. Ultimate_Ninja

Ultimate_Ninja New Member

I do a 4 day a week routine. Sundays/Mondays, and then Wednesday/Thursday.

Sundays:
    Legs, back, biceps, abs: barbells mostly, heavier weights. Back exercises are more focused on pulling movement - as in, pullups, lat pulldowns, etc.
    Mondays:
    Chest, triceps, shoulders, abs: barbells mostly, heavier weights

The first two days of the split, almost all sets are 5 to 6 reps. 4 sets: first is a warmup of 8-10 reps, and then 3 of the target weight.

Tuesday: rest

Wednesday: Legs, back, biceps, abs: dumbbells mostly. Back movement here is focused more on a rowing movement. Slightly lighter weights than earlier in the week, and a few more reps. Usually 8-10 reps.

Thursday: Same as Monday.

Friday: rest
    Saturday: rest, eat a lot

I eat very very lean most of the week.

6. Ultimate_Ninja

Ultimate_Ninja New Member

Find out what works for you, but start with some of the most common lifts. Bench, squats, deads - fill in your routine from there.

7. obscure/renegade

This looks absolutely amazing. :bowdown:

8. obscure/renegade

9. obscure/renegade

Squats are included in the routine I started the other day. Adding bench would be nice as well, because I'd like to have a good chest again.

10. Elfling

Elfling New Member

It's not that it's not a valid setup etc. But for coming back, definitely get the compounds and your eating habits down before you go to a bodypart split.

11. obscure/renegade

I work a lot of stupid hours these days and I have got to get a fridge at work so I can eat well mid-day. Being in a rush almos always forces me to eat fast food for lunch. I am sick of it, so it won't be hard to give up.

12. Elfling

Elfling New Member

13. obscure/renegade

14. obscure/renegade

$31?

*orders

15. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Yeah it's awesome. I usually fit a few diet sodas, two tupperware bowls with veggies/meat/whatever, and I stick water bottles in the side pockets. I throw two of the bigger blue ice things on top of the food and cover it with a towel, it keeps all day.

16. CrackityJones

CrackityJones OT Supporter

17. daballer2005

daballer2005 New Member

lulz, your not going to do purs diet/routine for a week and look like arnold

post a pic of "broly"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.