A&P Getting back into photography, got gear questions

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by kf4zht, Jun 3, 2008.

1. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

Hey yall,

I am trying to get back into photography after being away for a few years and am looking at picking up new or upgrading my gear.

Right now I have:
    Digital Rebel (original)
    Film Rebel
    Canon A80
    28-80 Canon lens
    75-300 canon lens
    Lensbaby
    misc filters

I was looking at either upgrading the digital rebel to a 30d or 40d and sell the body for a couple hundred. The other option would be to keep the rebel and spend the money to get some of the accessories I have thought about (flash, battery grip, maybe another lens). What would be the best option. Keep in mind I am a college student and this will be a hobby, not a profession. I am willing to spend money for quality, but dont need to buy more than I need to.

Second I have the bp511 battery that came with my rebel and a knockoff. The canon one doesn't hold much of a charge, and the knockoff not at all. Either way I have to pick up a couple new batteries. The knockoff I got was a piece from the start. Are there any knockoffs that are decent or do I need to shell out the $50/each for the canon ones?

Also are there any underwater photography guys here, I got a couple questions about that too.

2. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

If this is just a hobby I dont see why you want to upgrade unless you feel like the body is holding you back. Get some better glass and other accessories you mentioned.

Get sterlingtek batteries, they are :bowdown: last forever

3. Bloke

Bloke Banned

im pretty sure you can take the battery packs to a batteries plus or interstate battery store and have the cells changed out, for far cheaper than a new one.

4. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

cheaper than a new canon battery maybe, but i doubt it would be cheaper than some of the 3rd party batteries. if you look around ebay, you can find some really cheap batteries. sure they might not last quite as long (the ones i bought for my xt actually lasted longer though), but you can buy 10 of them for the same price as 1 canon brand.

5. OlafBeserka

Sterlingteks last longer than my canon bp511. They are rated at 2000mah while canon is rated at 1300mah I think. They are only $10 and you really do get more than you pay for. Check out this POTN thread for more info.

6. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

The initial battery life was not as much the problem as how quickly they would no longer charge.

The main gripe I have with the rebel is the slow load times, especially when shooting in bursts. Only getting 4-5 shots before having to wait gets annoying.

I may just pick up batteries, a flash and other small accessories, the only thing I was looking at that would not work for both is the battery grip.

7. OlafBeserka

I can understand about the burst. I had the 10d for a while when I started. That shit pissed me off. I couldnt believe how long it took just to review the pics