MMA Getting back into it

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by FloppyCock, Sep 18, 2009.

1. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

I've been out of things for a bit over a year, but it is about time I started wrestling again. I'm open to something with a bit more MMA flavor than just straight submission wrestling/no-gi BJJ, but I don't want to ignore the ground game altogether.

For all you Californians out there, I live in Palo Alto now and I'm looking for a place that is closer to me than AKA, even though that is my best bet right now.

The question is, does anybody know of a good MMA/BJJ place around Palo Alto or San Mateo?

2. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Try Sambo if you want something with MMA flavour

3. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

My question isn't so much "what" as "where."

Do you know of a good place in or around San Mateo/Palo Alto?

4. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

5. kroneX

kroneX New Member

sorry mate, im an aussie you'll have to find if there is a sambo class in your area, but I highly recommend taking a trial class to see if you like it

6. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

I've been bouncing around from place to place around here, and I have some impressions.

The Gracie gym in San Mateo was nice. At first they wouldn't let me jump in to the class which definitely was a deal breaker for me, but after one of their purple belts threw me around a bit they let me participate. Good atmosphere, for the most part, and some of the guys there are pretty damn good, but I am always rubbed the wrong way when no basics are reviewed in a class. Cool, I just learned three collar chokes, but I'd much rather drill escapes/reversals, etc. The price is through the roof, too, at $185 - $225 a month. If it was cheaper I would do it just because the guys I rolled with there were the right kind; I could learn a lot from them.

Fairtex in Mountain View was my next stop. I told them I wanted to try it out so they threw me into the beginner class, which was a mistake because they didn't roll and didn't drill too much, either. The instructor, though, was really good. I took a wrestling class there the next day, and even though the pace was pretty laid back the instruction was good. I think I could learn quite a bit there, too, but the pace was a bit on the slow side for my taste. The price is almost reasonable at $1400 a year (~$116 a month), so we'll see.

There is another Gracie school I saw in Mountain View, so that will be my next stop. Has anybody heard anything about the new Gracie place in Mountain View?

7. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

I wish that I lived anywhere in Cali man. So many awesome places to train over there. Just be glad your not in CT.