TAT getting art done beforehand

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by tefnut, Aug 15, 2008.

1. tefnut

tefnut build

I'm going to get a full back piece as my first and only tattoo. Since it's obviously massive and for life I'm super-paranoid about getting everything right and well thought out and perfectly designed. With all due respect to the folks working in tattoo shops, I want to get it designed beforehand by a graphic designer, spend months agonizing and tweaking it before basically coming in with a printout and say 'please tattoo this design'.

Can you guys recommend someone for this kind of service? I know one option is to just go to a graphic designer who does, I don't know, websites or T-shirts or something. But I was hoping for someone more specialized.

2. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

What a graphic designer comes up with may not be tattooable. Go to a tattoo artist and have them draw it up and perfect it before tattooing it on you.

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Even after a graphic designer does it, a tattoo artist is still possibly going to have to change it. You'll end up disappointed that it's not EXACTLY what you had come up with before. Tattoo artists ARE graphic designers, of sorts.

4. sorryforya

sorryforya New Member

Tattoo artist I've been to HATE doing custom work that wasn't drawn up themselves. What you really need to do, like everyone said, is to go into a shop you're interested in, and tell the artist to draw up something. Sit with them and tell them what you exactly want in your tattoo. Don't be afraid to tell them you don't like it either. If you really don't like it or feel like you can't work with them, then go to another artist.

5. digitaljames

digitaljames OT Supporter

what everyone else said.