Getting another machine.. PC 7424X or the Cyclo

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by gandhibrokemyskates, Jul 7, 2009.

1. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

I've had a 7424 but it broke so I need a new one. I stopped detailing a couple of years ago and about to start getting back into it. I want to step it up but don't feel ready for a rotary just yet.

I have a feeling i just might buy another Porter Cable.

hollar back!

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If you can afford it, get the Flex 3401. 50% higher OPM than the PC and 450 rpm fixed rotation. Most people on Autopia who've used it say it is nearly as good as a rotary. The new PC, the 7424xx (I think that is the name) that has a more powerful motor and 800 OPM more than the original. The Cyclo is a nice machine but for not much more you can get the Flex and pads are cheaper.

Honestly, with Meguiars #105/205 and 3M Ultrafina, with not much practice you should be able to finish out hologram free using a rotary.

3. gandhibrokemyskates

yea, i could afford the Flex 3401. know of any sales on the Flex? I can order one tomorrow.

4. extremest

extremest OT Supporter

I am in the same boat (except my PC7424 still works hehe). I just purchased a new car and have the detail buzz again where I want to keep my car in great condition at all times. It's a white 2004 e46 M3 with great paint however there are swirls around the car.

Is the PC capable of detailing BMW paint in a somewhat quick manner or would I be better off upgrading to the Flex (and possibly selling the PC if it would no longer be needed??)?

I saw this special

http://www.autogeek.net/flex-meguiars-polish-kit.html

It includes the Flex, Megs 105 & 205, pads for these products (would any other pads even be needed for these two products or would it depend on the level of swirls??), etc...

5. gandhibrokemyskates

just ordered it from autogeek. hollar!

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I can tell you right now you will NOT regret the purchase of that Meg's kit. I use a Flex with the Meg's pads and 105/205 as well and as Scott alluded to it truly is almost as good as a rotary with the added benefit of no swirling to go back and fix.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I am thinking about getting the Porter XP version of the kit.

Or should I spend the extra dollars and get the flex?

Keep in mind, this will be my first time using a device like this

8. Scottwax

If you can afford the flex, that's the one to get. If you feel you can master the rotary (not as hard as you think), then get that.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I'll be ordering the flex based off your recommendation

10. gandhibrokemyskates

Got my flex earlier than planned. woot, got it yesterday. i'm going to work on a pro stock mustang on monday and get it cleaned up. holla, then my car, then a zo6 vette, and then i think another vette

11. BlazinBlazer Guy

You'll love the Flex on those 'vettes... I've been doing all kinds of crazy work on a C5 all week and when it comes to the paint, the Flex has been a life saver paired with 105/205/Ultrafina :bigthumb:

12. gandhibrokemyskates

I just did the pro stock mustang and my own car with the 105/205. The 105 is fkn awesome and got out all sorts of light scratches. I'm not sure about the 205 though. I didn't see a lot of wetness like I did with the DAPC & Swirl Free polish.

After the 205, I used NXT wax, not the 2.0, on both cars. I haven't been able to take pictures yet because its been raining off and on down here.

Is the Ultrafina a glaze? sealant?

13. BlazinBlazer Guy

Ultrafina is a final polish.... look back through some older threads to see more info about it.

Actually after I posted about the 105/205 I started having problems with the 105 and switched back to my old polishes (ended up with 85 and 83) thanks to the fiberglass and hard paint.

14. Scottwax

#205 has better clarity and is more compatible with sealants due to less oils. Of course, it is the oils in #83/82 that give the wet look. #205 + Opti-Seal gives both clarity and wetness and is a really easy combo.

Ultrafina is a finishing polish that enables you to finish out hologram free via rotary.

15. gandhibrokemyskates

I might have Opti Seal, woot! I can't remember.

I detailed my Element and found out my hood is fubared. The clearcoat is cracking. :( boo

16. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

My issue with the rotary is that its a PITA to use with dense pads. Well at least for me it is and Ive been using one for some time. Ive found Id rather use a much more aggressive compound or polish with a softer pad at higher speeds. And Im no rook Ive been using a rotary since 2002.

If I wasnt becoming semi-retired from pro detailing I also would pick up a flex.