Getting an inexpensive laptop...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Stiletto Princess, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Stiletto Princess

Stiletto Princess New Member

Hey everyone,
    I'm looking to get a laptop for less then $800.00

I'm a college student and i just plan on using it for papers and surfing the net so I don't need anything really powerful, and I was wondering you you guys could give me some suggestions.

Here are some I've been looking at:
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshiba-Satellite-Notebook-PC-L25-S119-/sem/rpsm/oid/133633/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7454364&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01174&id=1125465390707

Any other good deals or ideas would be great!

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Those are both fine. I'd recommend looking at an iBook. They're a bit more expensive (start at about $900 on student pricing), but you get way more bang for your buck and a much better quality notebook.

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Compared to the Celeron's I also agree an iBook will be more powerful, and only a little over your budget if you get the basic model with student discount or w/e you can apply for. You can save after you get it and upgrade RAM/HDD or w/e you need mroe of, and I think you will be pretty happy with the iBook.

What features do you NEED most definetly? A DVD player/burner? Integrated Wireless? A huge HDD?

4. tony

tony Guest

The base price for an iBook with a student discount, is $950 (just checked); that is a lot more money for the average college student. You can get a rather nice laptop for well under $800 if you shop deals and are willing to make a couple compromises. Smaller screen, no dvd burner, etc.

Of the two you posted, I would go with the first, but only if you upgrade it to 512meg. 256 is unacceptable, in my opinion. Rebates are a huge factor when you're trying to save as much money as possible. Buy RAM after the fact, upgrading it with the manufacturer is a total ripoff.

Keep an eye on websites like, http://www.techbargains.com/ they'll often post about laptops with good deals and large rebates. If you get a local paper, sometimes they will have adds bundled in with them on the weekends, CompUSA, BestBuy, Staples, etc will have weekly deals in them. Dell is known to give very good discounts, so keep an eye out for them too.

You could go for that first of the two you posted, upgrade the ram to 512, and you're set. Even as-is, it would work for what you want. Is the iBook worth the $400 extra? Fuck no.

5. whitepearl

whitepearl OT Supporter