getting a R6 as a first bike?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Acura170hp, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Acura170hp

Acura170hp Finally, i am a Somebody :)

maybe getting a R6 as a first bike. :cool:

2. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

3. aloe

aloe OT Supporter

4. Wolf

"A few get it, most do not" is more accurate. Take the MSF class before buying anything.

5. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

It's a horrible choice for a first bike. Because typically those who haven't gotten it are either seriously injured or dead.

6. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

The new R6 is just as fast as my '00 RC51. My RC51 is NOT slow. May as well just get a damn GSX-R 1000.

7. aloe

aloe OT Supporter

believe it or not experienced riders also wreck/die

8. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

I'm tired of preaching to all of the new riders to get something used and slower than a newer sport bike.

Fuck it dude. Get the bike if you want it. Be careful and gets lots of gear. If you crash on it because you don't know how or couldn't control the power don't come back here and tell us about it.

9. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Yes, nobody is invincible. The difference is that as an experienced rider I realize that I'm not invincible.

Same here. I'm not typing any more long rants... just a quick "good luck, don't die".

10. aloe

aloe OT Supporter

correct. but sometimes rider skill has nothing to do with accidents, so even if you realize you're not invincible.... things can still go wrong that you as a rider cannot control

:werd:

11. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Yeah, I've had a couple of accidents that were completely out of my control. Last night a friend of mine had an accident that was completely out of his control.

The difference between myself and a new rider is that I know what my bike is capable of, and in an event of an emergency I know how to use that a lot more effectively than a new rider could. Also, being more experienced makes me far less likely to make a bad judgement call resulting in injury or death.

It's difficult to figure out exactly where your limits are on a supersport bike because the bike is so capable. The only thing you can do is scare the piss out of yourself and use that as the determining factor for your limits.

12. fr0ng

fr0ng Guest

Whats funny is that people come looking for advice, then ignore it.

Before I knew anything about bikes I wanted a 954RR, simply because it was the fastest. But after reading forums and getting info from riders..I learned that I would be signing my life away once I bought one. I was going to get an F4 but I found a REALLY good deal on an F4i that I couldn't pass up..

If I had to do it all over again, I would get an F3 or F4 as a first bike.

13. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

They aren't looking for advice... they're looking for one person to say "yeah, fuck those haters, you'd be just fine on that bike". Just so they can feel justified.

I still think the F3 or F4 wouldn't make good beginners bikes, but certainly not a poor a choice as an R6.

14. fr0ng

fr0ng Guest

I also have friends who have been riding for 2+ years, started on liter bikes, and have never gone down...they ride twisties pretty hard too.

I do agree that if you respect the throttle you'll be fine, but theres always a situation where you can't do much (high revvs in twisties...accidentally blip throttle) ..it almost happend to me..I was gettin ready for a left hander on some twisties and I went over something ..I was already at around 8k rpms and when I went over it my throttle jerked and I almost hit the mountain in front of me...luckily I turned hard at the last second and made it...but if that happend on a liter bike I would have been fucked.

15. icoNn

icoNn Guest

I think it truly depends on the person.

Sure, something like an r6 is more powerful, etc...but if someone respects the power, and realizes it doesn't take much to kill someone on a bike, they will be much better off than someone on a lesser bike who thinks they can fly around as fast as the thing can go without a scratch. I may be wrong...that's just the way I see things.

Any bike will go more than fast enough to kill you.

16. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Chances are if you're intelligent enough to buy a smaller bike to begin with you're humble enough to realize that you can get killed on the bike you chose pretty easily as well if you're stupid.

Respect for the power is only a part of the equation.

17. icoNn

icoNn Guest

I agree. But I also still believe that there are people who could do just fine starting out with a newer 600cc bike...but definitely a small minority.

18. Surgeon General

Surgeon General Well-Known Member

19. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

you're not just buying a bike, you're INVESTING in it. you need to think about the resale. trust me, you think you're going to keep it forever, but after a year you want something new.

when you buy a new bike, you are paying out of your ass for the first "drop". that is, once a bike has dropped and there are scratches on the fairing, the price goes down like eleventy billion percent.

your best bet is to get a beater for your first bike. that way, in a year, you can sell it for basically the same as you paid for it, and in the meantime it can take your beginner mistakes and not drop in value so much (since the value is already low.)

20. Hatt

Hatt Guest

:bigthumb:

21. i would say that an r6 is not a bike to learn on, by any means.. but then again you are gonna do what you want.. the best way to start off, is by something slow and work your way up to something faster.

getting an r6 would be like putting a 80 year old man in a nasa aix car and telling him to turn 1:21 lap times on laguna seca

22. HPS

HPS I'm not fat, I'm poofy... :fawk:

I learn FAST and have had *some* dirtbike experience, and I wouldn't start on an R6. This is just my opinion, but I would rather Learn really fast on a slightly underpowered bike and be bored for a year or so while I get a lot of experience, than get an R6 and be wrong about how fast I learn and kill myself. I got an FZR600 last week as a first bike and I learned faster than I thought I would. I am leaning way over and the bike feels as comfertable as it would if I had been riding for years, but honestly, I am glad I got this one to start with rather than an R6 or Gixxer. Its plenty fast for a noob even when comfortable, and will last me a long time till I urpgeade to an R6 or R7...
    Just my opinion, but thought it might help...

Keep the rubber side down...
    Be safe- Squids != Teh :cool: ---- ;)

23. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

it all gos back to if you want to be fast start slow

its alot better to learn teh basics on a slower bike use it till you can use all of the bike then you ready to move up to a new 600

have fun dont die

24. sushibug

sushibug :happysad:

i dont even ride but you sound like a squid. r6 or r7 huh? do you even know anything about the r7... cmon now.

25. Wolf