getting a pxe-e61 media test failure

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by The Ripper, Jun 9, 2008.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

Ive been having this issue for about a month now. It happens randomly, my computer will work fine for a week and then it wont work for a day work well for a couple of days then wont work for a couple of hours.

It will boot and say

For Realtek RTL8139(x)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller V2.13(020326)
    PXE-e61 media test failure, check cable

like I said it happens randomly and so far this is what I have done to attempt to resolve the issue.
    • disconected and reatached hd
    • have tried to put C: before network in the boot order and that didnt work
    • ran hard drive software and it was telling me there was an error in the hard disc so I did a low level format.
    • like I said its an intermittent issue and some times when I set up the defaults in bios it will immediately load.
    Have asked a crap load of people and they all just recommended trying all of the stuff I did before. I even reinstalled xp and reinstalled drivers.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Your hard drive is going bad. You need to replace it.

If that's not the issue, then it's either a bios virus (very unlikely) or a bad hard drive controller (possible, but less likely than a bad hdd)

By the way, you did NOT do a low level format. I guarantee that.

Basically:
    Assuming that the HDD is a higher priority for boot devices, your BIOS (on bootup) is searching the MBR of your hard drive for a suitable boot loader. The defective drive is sometimes giving valid data (could be damaged platters, defective head, or a bad controller) and the system boots. Other times it's not returning a valid bootloader so the BIOS runs down to the next item in it's boot list until it gets to the PXE boot -- but you don't have a server to boot from.

3. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah its most likely the hd. I went to boot up a min ago and it gave me a no hd message. oh well I guess I will ride it out and back up my data regularly. Couldnt have happened at a better time because Im assembeling a new computer soon so if the hd goes im still ok.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008