Getting a new SUV.....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JRock10, Jul 21, 2006.

1. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

ok, here's the thing. I'm sick of my FuckyouBird Formula, so I'm going to be researching for a newer vehicle. Model year is going to be between 1998-2002. Prospects thus far are Chevy Blazer/GMC Jimmy, Ford Explorer Sport, Nissan Xterra, Dodge Durango etc...or if I can find a good enough deal, then a full size GM suv. Here's the question: of these choices, in which one have you guys had the most verstility when doing installs? i.e. how easy is one to customize (audio, video, security) over the others? I will be doing at least front components, maybe rears, custom amp rack/sub enclosure, maybe in-dash TV, may add 2nd alternator and battery (i know this will be easier in the fullsize), alarm/ rem start/keyless/hatch rel/any other cool shit i might want to do with alarm. I'll be using Orion P6.2s up front (maybe rear), My PPI DCX300.4 and 1500.1. May install the other 300.4 on the rear components if I use them. What are your thoughts on all this shit?

cliffs: going to get a new SUV, what do you think is easiest to work on?

2. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

i'm realyl tempted to get an 2006 or lower tahoe/yukon. i want to put a three way in the doors. i'm also looking at a magnum, 8s in the door ftw.

3. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

Every other car we work on is a tahoe...Easy amp rack under the mid seats for whatever you want..Good locations for 6.5 comps in the front and back doors, very easy car to work on.

4. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

yup yup, a dls a7 and a4 will fit well under the seats... we've glassed 12w6s in the back panel... sounds good

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

yeah this i knew, just wondered about the other ones

6. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

the gm is the easiest to work on:o

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

except for that pesky BCM wiring on the S-Series....(locks, domelight, door trigger IIRC) I have big hands so tight spaces are always fun for me.

Really i guess what i'm most curious about is how much have you done in one of those vehicles and how easy was it? I've worked on them all, to a varying degree. The most i've done in an Xterra is XM. Durango was deck and 4 (that was easy as shit, as most Dodge's are these days.) Done full systems and alarms in Blazers, Tahoes. Oh, and full system/Sirius in my buddy's old '96 explorer. I seem to remember the rear doors being a real bitch to work with.

edit: also how creative did you have to get with them? mostly drop in new components, or did you have to rig some stuff? When I say rig, what i mean is fab something to make it work right. Cause I know we always do it the "correct" way. :hsugh: :mamoru:

8. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i'm in truck country, and suv's are about 35% of our business. between 98 and 02, your best bet would be a gm... closely followed by ford and dodge/jeep.

9. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

double din ftw

10. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Get a 'Hoe...

;)