Getting a new laptop...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kingtoad, Feb 7, 2005.

1. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I'm picking up a laptop next week. I think I'm going for a Toshiba. I heard they are really well. I was told to stay clear away from Dell because they have the highest return percentage on laptop sales. And HP I guess because they're HP. I am not looking into Alien Ware laptops. They're too expensive. :p

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

toshiba sucks

3. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

What do you suggest? I'm not buying an iBook.

4. xheliox

xheliox It's Good To Be King

*sigh* Toshiba doesn't suck. I've purchased many Toshiba's, all are still operating perfectly.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

toshiba was easily the second-most problematic notebook I've serviced (behind dell).

They have a horrible problem with fans going out on them

I'd go with Asus if you won't do an ibook. Otherwise, I've had good luck with gateway notebooks (their desktops suck, but notebooks have been reliable)

6. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

How about an eMachines laptop? They have a budget line and an "extreme" line...so it depends in what you are looking for. i haven't heard anything bad about there new line of laptops. forget any bad experiences you had 5+ yrs. ago though, there entire company has changed and the quality of there computers has been upped alot of knothces in my book.

IBM makes good compact laptops, not really good for gaming or intense stuff though. My dad has 2 of them (work/home use) and he hasn't had any actual hardware/software issues wih them. dunno how much they cost though.

My mom uses a Compaq presario, also not good for intenst gamine-usage. it's had some DVD problems, and overheating...but for a small budget and regular usage it has served her well. pretty durable too...she brings it everywhere and has dropped it 2X i think with no hardware problems.

I had an older Dell machine, P3 laptop given to me. The casing was plastic, incredibly loud fans, slow to boot and very low quality build IMO (too kit apart a few times to get it to work). A few of my friends have Dell's and they can't complain for average use. But gaming isn't much of an option on a budget Dell laptop...they don't have much powere specailly the Celeron ones.

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I'd look at an IBM as well as the Toshiba (and I'd probably buy an Apple, but you don't seem to be interested in that). Asus has some that look quite good too, they may be worth a peek

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

eMachines is crap... err, duh?

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

You know, I had a user at work with the exact same problem. We issue Toshiba's to our reps and one user came back saying there was an issue with his machine. You're correct, the fan was out. HEH.

I'll take a look at Asus, thanks to all for the suggestions.

10. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

ok...there A64 laptops are top knotch from what i have heard. Alot of people are getting them instead of Alienware laptops. But it's a matter of preference.

11. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

Wow, spoken like someone who's not used one in a while . So thank you for your insight Captain Misinformation. :rolleyes:

I've had a few eMachines in my house over the the last 2 years and each one has been fantastic. I also own an M6811 (2.2Ghz Mobile Athlon 64) and while it's really a honker in size (as it's really designed as a desktop replacement, not a portable), it's really a fantastic powerhouse. One of the better laptops I've had in years considering the pricepoint (I picked up mine for about $1,200).

I have 3 eMachines desktops in my house as well, and each one runs great. Two of them have run as servers for the last year and they still run as smooth as ever. The only problem I have is that one of them, a two year old box that's been running non-stop for more then a year and a half is running a little hot on account of the power supply. Nothing huge, but I figure I'll get it a new power supply this year.

As far as Alienware laptops (or desktops even) go, I wouldn't touch them. They are WWAAAYYY overpriced for what you're getting. You're really just paying a preimum for a fancy case. They're a lot like Apple in that respect.

12. Gaylord Focker

Gaylord Focker 8=oOOo=D ~ ~ ~

you do realize that gateway and emachines is the same company right?

13. xheliox

xheliox It's Good To Be King

No. He wants to make blanket assumptions about everything. In Jolly's eyes, it's not possible for a company to fix their design flaws or have a higher end/more rugged product line. If he's experienced it, then it's the gospel. Nevermind the dozens, if not hundreds of other professionals on this forum who might have other experiences.

14. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I love how jollyogre will post a snappy comment in a thread then he gets chewed out by a bunch of people and then things go sour and it happens again the following day :)

Not defending him, he has snapped at me before too :ugh2:

15. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

I have one of the AMD64 laptops from eMachine, and the thing is a champ. The only game I had a problem with was Half-life 2 and after a ram upgrade even that ran well. Other than that I have not had any issues with it.

It is a behemoth of a notebook though, and the battery life is at about 2 hours max, so if you're looking for something that's ultra portable I wouldn't recommend it. If you want a good desktop replacement laptop go for it. Both eMachine and Gateway have the same laptop right down to the case, and buttons.

16. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

:rofl: :Owned: