getting a motorcycle license in ca...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Branislav, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Branislav

Branislav orly?

ok so im under 21, 19 with a license.

im going to sign up for the local msf course, take that shit its one weekend then go to the DMV for the written test. For my msf course and certificate is 150$. How much do i half to pay more at the dmv? And how much is registration on a bike in ca?

im getting a GSXR 600 brand new zero miles .. .. . im stoked... i havent owned a street bike but ive rode dirt bikes since i was like 12....started on a 80 on a built 125 now but ride 250s all the time too (in the family).

2. Frequency

Frequency New Member

A) This is a bad idea.

B) I have no idea how the MSF classes work in CA so I can't comment there, but in PA, the MSF course requires you have your permit, you are then taught int he class room, take a written test and taught outside and take the road test and walk away with your MSF cert. & license.
    B) sub-section bold) The word is have, half is a whole divided into 2 equal parts. this isn't a grammar problem, nor is it a spelling problem this is pure retard-ism.

C) See point A)

3. grizzy

grizzy OT Supporter

QFT.

Start on something smaller and cheaper so you won't be upset when you wreck it. Because you WILL wreck it (drop it, lowside, highside, get hit by a car because you don't ride defensively enough, etc.)

I started on a Katana 600 (big slow sport tourer) and it was too much bike for me. Luckily, I had more common sense than most people wanting to ride motorcycles and I leared to respect that power really fast.

My good friend bought a 2006 GSXR 600 as his first bike and totalled it and almost killed himself within a month.

4. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

yeah, I wouldn't start off on a 600 if I were you.

I don't remember the exact cost at the DMV, but it's pretty cheap. $20 or so.

there's nothing wrong with getting your M1 at 19 though... got mine at 18 :)

5. Branislav

Branislav orly?

i know what it's like to have alot of power on tap at your fingers.....this thread is not debating weather or not i should get a 600 or not.

I have been in the motorsports industry for a long time and i have seen people go down, i have also ridden some crazy shit.

you gotta respect the power and the machine, just rompin the shit will get you killed.

but yeah its like 115 bucks to fully register the bike at the dmv, and im looking at like ~1000 bucks for full coverage. all i needed to know, thanks.

6. whitesox

whitesox New Member

I alwayse :hsugh: when I hear comments of "I've been riding dirt for X amount of years so now I'll be ready for a sportbike". I have never put dirt and street in the same frame of mind... I've ridden dirtbikes since I was 3; started on a PW50, then to a Suzuki 80 quad, then to a CR80 and now a CR125. I think of myself as a very capable rider on a dirtbike whether it's in the desert or on a track. Dirt is VERY forgiving, going down hard on dirt is nothing compared to street (although I've never been down on street).

The first sportbike I ever rode was an 06 CBR1000RR. It was a family friends who kept the bike at our house for about 6 months becasue he lived in Texas and was making a move out to California and let my dad ride it while it was here. I got my permit and at first I just around the neighborhood then moved to the local streets and was scared shitless of that bike. Never once got close or even thought of getting close to taking that bike anywhere near potential. I got my lisence and bought my 07 600rr. The only similarities with the transition from dirt to street is shifting :rofl:. It's more about the respect for the power of a streetbike (as corny as it sounds) that you have to alwayse have to keep in mind. ALOT of people disagree with starting on a bike like a 600 but I really think it depends on the rider and the mindset you have going into buying/riding the bike. I talk to and ride with alot of people who have been riding for years who are supposed to be "superior" to my riding level and they do alot of stupid shit :ugh::hsugh:. I have caught on very and I'm all about having fun, just not riding like dickhead to stand out or look cool.

I began riding, and still ride with a buddy who has been on street and tracks for years and he really showed me the ropes and rules of the road which helped out alot. Long post/rant, I know...Got my first trackday either on the 12th or 19th @ Willowsprings so I'm :coold: right now.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  7. Mojo

Mojo New Member

in CA, you can take the msf with no permit (pretty much nothing needed besides being 18). once you pay the 150 (235 for 21+ age), you get a competion form in the mail that waives the riders test (physical). and thats IF you pass the examination. therefore, once you pass the written exam and provide the that msf completion form to dmv, you get your license. dmv only charges for license fees (20-30 bucks?...cant remember). registering a bike...idk.

x2 on all of the above. goodluck on the bike purchase, please make sure to ride extremely careful as you're a new rider.

8. aCab

aCab New Member

I'm your age bro, and sorry charlie but a brand new gsxr 600 is going to be way more than $1000 for coverage. A 2001 F4i was like $1300 a year, for reference.

9. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

if you are buying a brand new bike the dealer will work the paperwork for taxes and stuff.

otherwise you would take the reg to the dmv, and pay the 8.whatever% tax on the cost thats written on the slip. simple as that.

have fun riding bro, take it easy on the gixxer. youre gonna have alot of people hating on you and telling you to get an sv650. get what you want, enjoy it, and take it easy on the street. i started on my 600rr at 20 years old (just turned 21 yesterday). same with my roomate. we have no problems, but we know plenty of people who have done the same as us and ended bad. its all in the rider.

i would definetly recommend just getting used though man. its not like we crap money at this age, go private party, get a gsxr that someone just bought and is selling like new. see em all the time. youll save alot of money, and can save money on tax.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  10. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

btw i have a clean record and pay 128/month through progressive on my 06 RR, its comprehensive so its liability with theft coverage. this is the cheapest i found in Norcal.
    if you just want liability with no theft youd be lookin at like 50 bucks a month or so.

11. Branislav

Branislav orly?

word mang.

where do you think i should look for a used bike? i wanted to walk into the showroom floor and pay cash for a brand new all black 0 mile gixxer, but ithink i might be willing to go for a used 07.

where should i look? cycletrader and ebay? anything else really?

12. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

craigslist for sure. cycle trader works too. id stay away from ebay unless its local and u check it out before.

13. aCab

aCab New Member

Craigslist ftw. I'm sure there is a Forum with riders from you area too.

14. Toyman321

Toyman321 New Member

Sounds like the questions already been answered but as far as insurance costs go... it's my experience that the most expensive portion of the insurance is theft as bikes are pretty easy to load in a truck and take off with. I had almost $800 a year knocked off my insurance when I dropped theft off my policy.... but then again my bike is garaged at home and at work , and it's not worth too much to begin with.

15. aCab

aCab New Member

For me it was Collision. :dunno:

16. cellphone

cellphone Must not sleep.....

get a 250 or a gs500

17. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

start with a smaller bike, and you get a cheaper MSF since you're under 21, lucky bastard. But definitely start on something smaller

18. Branislav

Branislav orly?

neg, fuck you assholes, im going to get a 600 and its going to be dope.

19. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

It's 'have' to pay, not 'half'. :rolleyes:
    When I got liability only on my SV650 at 20, it was about $100/month. After a couple years of riding experience (or just having your MC endorsement), the rates will go down significantly.

:eek5: you're dead! :eek5:

20. Wolf

[​IMG] [​IMG] :stupid:

21. Wolf

Aw gee... you'd settle for an 07 rather than an 08? And you used 'mang' in a non-sarcastic manner..... more fresh squid for the sausage creature. [​IMG]

22. aCab

aCab New Member

And people wonder why almost every other country has graduated licensing. :mamoru:.

Kid, you're a dumbshit and most likely have more money than brains. :nono:

Good luck out there, and remember mang, don't use the front brake in a turn....ever....even in the rain. The rear is where it's at. Trust me....:o

23. pitchblue

pitchblue New Member

thank you for saying that

24. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

why, because you're as big of a dumbass as he is and having other people around making a bad decision helps you rationalize making the same bad decision?

25. bbmobbin

bbmobbin Active Member

bran get the 600. btw you still have the c32 or whattt?