TAT Getting a labret piercing next weekend

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Genocide, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Genocide

Genocide Why does my W look like a peace sign?!

I had a few questions about it.

1. When first pierced, does it get easily infected?

2. I bought a 14 gauge 3/8 inch labret from www.allpiercings.com and i was wonding if i could use that to do the piercing, or if it'll irritate my skin more.

3. Different people say different things about the pain of geting your labret pierced, Some people say it's one of the most painful piercings, others say it's not very painful at all. What was your experience with it?

and if there are any tips on what i should do after i get it pierced, let me know...thanks a lot.

2. dumb_end_user

dumb_end_user Sad Gus

It gets infected just as easily as any other puncture wond. Keep it clean and let it breathe and you shouldn't have any probles with it.

The 3/8" length on yor jewelry is going to be too short for the initial piercing. You are going to want at least 1/2" to allow for swelling. As long as the piece you have is SS you should have no problem switching to the shorter length after your initial piiercing has healed. I am assuming you got a flat back style - those can be a bit of a bitch to get in because you have to do it from insde your mouth. Here's a little cheat that will help you. Pick up a fishtail style labret or a retainer and put that in from the front and then lne up your jewelry on the inside of your mouth and use the fishtail as a 'taper' and follow it out from the inside. If that made absolutely no sense let me know and I will try to explain it further.

Mine didn't hurt at all. The worst part of the whole thing was that I could hear the needle 'pop' through my skin.

Other tips would be to make sure to tighten the balls (with clean hands) a couple times a day for the first few - for some reason new jewelry seems to loosen up on me.
    Eat carefully for a few weeks after you get it so that you don't catch the flat disk on the inside of your lower teeth.
    If you need to "hide" the piercing for any reason before it is fully healed (and after for that matter) simply unscrew the ball on the front and wear it like that. There will be a slight dimple noticable but it should pass and is a lot easier than trying to keep a retainer in. Note - when you have the ball removed from the front be careful - don't eat or chew gum until you are used to keeping it in your mouth.
    A lot of people will get some swelling inside of their lower lip - almost like the skin is trying to grow over the jewelry. Give your body some time to get used to it and you will eventually get a "callous" that forms behind the disk and the extra growth will subside.

Congratulations on your piercing.

3. Genocide

Wow!! Thanks for the info...by SS do you mean stereling silver?

4. Synner

Synner New Member

I just did mine the other night.....D_E_U has covered all the bases with this. Personally, I'm using a straight bar with a ball on the back until the initial healing is done and the swelling goes down...I don't want to deal wiith healing the piercing and developing the callous at the same time. Once the swelling's gone, I'll switch and heal the rest....I've been told this is a good method to use, so if you're having trouble, you might want to give it a try. And yes, SS = Sterling Silver.

5. Genocide

6. Synner

Synner New Member

Looking at the link, he could've meant Surgical Steel....Keep it, it'll be fine.

7. Genocide

I can't wait until next weekend. The suspense of whether or not it's going to hurt is killing me. I have a feeling the healing process is going to be a bitch though...i thought it was like 20 bucks to get it done, come to find out it's around 55 with jewlery :rofl:

8. Genocide

also, a lot of people are telling me that only girls get their labrets pierced, They're just trying to talk me out of it because they're closed minded i guess. What's you're take on it?

9. Synner

Synner New Member

I'm a guy, I'm totally straight, and I've got it done. At least 15 of my male friends (also straight) have theirs. Then again....I've also got my navel pierced. Personally, I don't see a point in trying to associate a certain piercing with a specific gender...it's all flesh and metal to me. If you want it, then fuck what everybody else says, just do it!

10. Thizziest

Thizziest Deez Nuts

Damnit I just took my labret out recently, it closed up, and I want it back.

11. TwIzTiD BaLLeR 23

TwIzTiD BaLLeR 23 I'm not great at farewells, so uh... that'll do, p

Same here.

For me it hurt a tiny bit. I dunno say like trying to pop a stubborn pimple in that same region? I like to think I have a high tolerency for pain though. So it might hurt you a bit more. Depends on your tolerancy to pain. I think the initial pain was worse then the initial pain of any of my other piercings, (Tongue, eyebrow, ear.) but after that it ain't nothing..

P.S. ---SS stands for surgical steel.

Enjoy you're piercing

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  12. Genocide

do i have to go shaved? or does the piercing effect shaving for the first couple of weeks?

13. TwIzTiD BaLLeR 23

I didn't have to shave.

When I trimmed afterwards I am able to have the gaurd go over the bead. Just be careful.

14. Genocide

and also...does the hole heal after a while?

15. Laurel

Laurel New Member

of course. it's a wound. wounds heal

16. 12345678

12345678 EH?

i'd get it done, but when i had braces they did a skin graft and put skin on my bottom front gums because the braces caused a receeding gum line....don't want that to happen again

17. Genocide

one last question...do i have to take it off when i'm sleeping during the healing process? what about after that?

18. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

I've heard that it will irritate your gums. Experiences?

19. Laurel

Laurel New Member

they can if you have really sensitive gums, or it's pierced improperly. depends on the person

you heard that you have to take the jewelry out during healing? NO. you should never mess with the jewelry at all, let alone take it out during the healing process

20. TwIzTiD BaLLeR 23

I'm sure it does, more quickly if you didn't have it for a while, as with any piercing. I just got mine done like 2 weeks ago so I haven't been able to take it out yet.

No, if you do then it will for sure close up. It won't interfere with you sleeping or anything like that if thats what you're worried about. I sleep on my stomach so my face is pretty much all on the pillow and it hasn't fucked with it at all. Just keep it clean.

21. Genocide

i heard the skin tends to grow over the flat back, is that bad? because if it did i can't think of a way to be able to take it out.

22. Laurel

Laurel New Member

It sometimes tries to. If that happens, just be sure to keep it from doing that. :)

once it's fully healed, you shouldnt have any problems with it. :)

23. Genocide

am i supposed to cut it off with something?

24. Genocide

is it alright if i put origel or something on it right before i do it just to numb it a little bit?

25. Laurel

Laurel New Member

if it starts to imbed, get a longer barbell, or just keep making sure you pull the disc from the back of your lip a couple times a day