Getting a free mac mini, want to upgrade

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by adelacruz, Mar 13, 2008.

1. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

Well my uncle has a mac mini with a pmu problem, everytime you want to turn it on th pmu has to be reset, i was thinking since it works itd be perfect for a media center since itd always be on anyway. I dont have a desktop, just my macbook which is why i was thinking of upgrading the processor and ram while im at it.

I doubt i can go quad core but i have read reports of dual core upgrades. I want to stick in a 2.2 like the macbook and i was wondering how i could go about that and also what kind of ram it took, i have gig stick i took out of my macbook that i wanted to use for that.

Also i cant find any info on changing or buying a pmu.

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Gonna need more details on the machine. Is it an Intel mini or G4? Duo Core or Core 2 Duo?

The price of a new processor is almost 1/2 that of a new Mac mini so it may not be the most cost effective thing to do.

3. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

i don't think you really need a whole lot of processor power for a media centre, i might be wrong though. i'd say instead get the ram and a bigger harddrive.

4. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

im pretty sure its the 1.5 core solo, i know if its the g4 i wont be able to do shit.

I think ill be upgrading to the T7200, a 120gb 7200 rpm internal, ill keep my 500gb extenal hooked up to it. Ill also get the elgato eyetv and the 2gb of ram.

I found the wire method for opening the case.

5. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

those upgrades will put you halfway to the cost of a new mini... you sure you can't come out a bit ahead by selling that one and pooling the money for a newer mini? :dunno:

6. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

i doubt i can get even 200 for it the pmu's fucked. if i can fix that i might sell it and do jst that.

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

so how are you planning on fixing the pmu problem first?

8. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

Honestly i have no idea, i was just gonna keep it on 24/7 so i woldnt hav to deal with it.