Getting a Flex, have some questions.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Derek173, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Derek173

Derek173 Analyst and Therapist

So I plan on getting a Flex soon and I have never done any kind of machine polishing. Here is what I am ordering along with some Questions.

1. Flex 3401 intro kit w/ CCS Orange , White and Red pads.

Should I order a more aggressive pad too? A Yellow pad or the new Kompressor hybrid Heavy Compounding 7 inch Foam Pad ? Or should a Newb avoid these?

2. Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO 83 and Menzerna Super Finish (Nano) PO 106 FA.

Any and all opinions welcome on this. I currently own Megs Ultimate Compound and Swirl Remover.

What confuses me is that since the pads and polishes have a different cut, how do you find a good combo? Like if I use SIP with a white pads vs orange. Will the white pad just take longer to work the product in?

I have a friend who is letting me practice on his badly abused black civic. I guess I would start with Menzerna Super Finish (Nano) PO 106 FA on white pad, then orange pad. If I wasn't happy with the results would I go to SIP on white pad or orange? When do you know its time to move from a SIP to a compound?

Does a wool pad cut more then A Yellow pad or the new Kompressor hybrid? When using Wool pads or more aggressive pads do you switch to a compound?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Pad color doesn't mean much. Go by the cut. You need a couple cutting pads, a several each of the polishing and finishing pads.

I'd look into the new line of Optimum Polishes. The Compound is nearly as aggressive as Meguiars #105, and the Polish and Finish are also both excellent. I've been using Polish for a month or so now. Nice cut and an excellent finish. Finish has incredible gloss and wetness and you hardly use any product. Maybe three 1/8th inch dots on a 6.5" pad. Optimum's stuff is a lot cheaper than Menzerna and now that they've been reformulated, they seem every bit as good.

3. Derek173

Thanks Scott, I respect your opinion because every Optimum product I have used has been beyond amazing. So I would get Opt Compound, Polish II and Finishing polish?

I understand its about the cut of the pad not the color but the color represents the cut no?

I would get the Orange light cutting pad and the white polishing pads (lake county) What should I get thats more aggressive? Wool? or the Kompressor pads

"Purple Hybrid Heavy Compounding 7 inch Foam Pad – The hybrid foam formulation constructed to be as close to a twisted wool compounding pad as possible with a foam pad. Use the purple foam pad to apply compounds and heavy cut swirl removers. The purple foam removes oxidation, heavy swirls, and most scratches. "
    http://autogeek.net/lake-country-kompressor-pads1.html

4. Derek173

Also when using Opt Polish II,

1. I should begin with the white polishing pad.
    2. Switch to Orange light cutting pad if not happy with results.
    3. Move to more aggressive pad until desired results?

when do you switch to the compound? How do you understand when its pad or product? My understanding a compound is a stronger polish so if the polish is not giving me the results I want I move onto a compound?

5. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

You just need to try different stuff and get a feel for how it works. It's easy to read this stuff and do your homework, but until you actually understand how these products work through experience, it's hard to grasp.

After awhile, you'll be able to tell just by looking at a car which products will work, and which ones won't. The new Optimum polishes are an excellent choice. Meguiar's #105 and #205 remains my favorite combo. If you can wing it, I'd get 105/205, and the Opt polish line just for some versatility. Not every job is going to need the cut 105 has to offer, and 205 isn't really enough to remove mild swirls.

You shouldn't need the purple pad unless you've got some serious shit to remove. It's very coarse and is a step above the yellow pad. To start out, I would say a few orange and a few gray (with the right combo you can go straight from say, 105 with orange to 205 with gray and be LSP ready) would be fine. I almost never use white polishing pads anymore, I seem to be using the green polishing/finishing pads more often with paint cleaners and light polishes, and gray or green with a finishing polish. I almost always use orange or yellow when removing swirls.

6. Derek173

I have ordered a Yellow, Orange,White, Wool and Green instead of Grey. From Auto Geeks site it seemed the Green would be better as it would do some polishing. I plan to apply LSP by hand so I don't think I would use the grey ones?

I did order the Optimium combo (Polish,Compound,Final Polish) I have the new megs ultimate compound and swirl remover also.

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Not all companies use the same colors to represent cut. There isn't an industry standard in that regard.

Personally, I prefer to go up in the aggressiveness of the polish before switching to a cutting pad.

When using a polish, start with the polishing pad. Move up to the compound first, then the pad.

8. Derek173

So after I switched to a compound and wasn't happy with the results, I would change to a cutting pad and go back to the polish? then cutting pad + compound if further work was needed.