Getting a first laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kaiton, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Kaiton

Kaiton New Member

Couple of questions.

Can component failures be replaced just like in a desktop?. If its the screen or keyboard are you pretty much screwed?.

Are manufacture guarentees worth much for laptops, or would you recommend a 3rd party monthly insurance policy type thing.

Thanks.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yes, most parts can be replaced if they go bad.

What type of laptop are you looking at? I see no reason for a 3rd party insurance.

I know that certain people who will chime in are not a fan of Dells, but their warranty is great. On my laptop I have a 3 year next day onsite warranty. They also offer a complete care warranty which covers almost any kind of damage (dropping it, spilling things on it, etc.)

3. Chris

Chris New Member

if Dell was that bad they wouldn't sell 11ty billion computers per year

4. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i've had my dell laptop for about 1.5 years now. it was top of the line back then, and it's still quite the performer (so i can play starcraft 2 and spore when they come out, you know).

the only thing that's gone bad is the battery, which happened a few weeks ago and had to be replaced. but that's reasonable.

5. Kaiton

Kaiton New Member

I know some of the bigger names like Dell have well developed after care services but the brand im looking at is small and not even active directly in my country so thats why im concerned about the guarentee and thought about 3rd party.

I would not mind replacing some dead ram/hd/dvddrive/cpu etc the usual, but if the screen or motherboard etc dies I wont I would be kind of screwed.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you buy a dell you MUST get their warranty. Dell is shitty, regardless what some people here have rationalized in their mind. It WILL break, and it WILL not perform as the specs indicate it should.

if you buy a decent machine and take care of it, the warranty is not neccessary.

7. Kaiton

Kaiton New Member

Electronics can break randomly for no reason at any time :/. Thats if you dont accidently drop it or such, I am not a clumsy person at all but s**t happens sometimes.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

before you buy, really figure out what you are looking for. i knew i just wanted a laptop to use around the house and maybe to lug around in the car for when i'm on call. so, i didn't need anything super light weight and i wanted a big enough screen so when i had to work i could actually get stuff done. i went with a dell inspiron 1525 (went with a refurb because the new ones can't be gotten with discrete graphics or at least couldn't when i was buying). i basically matched the specs of a macbook pro and paid significantly less. it also weights a hell of a lot more and is much slower (at least comparing 3DMark numbers). so, 95% of the time it is perfect for me, but when i have to carry it... god damn.

9. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

so the fact that i purchased a dell laptop a year and a half ago and have yet to have any part fail (other than the battery which died after the general life of a battery) is rationalizing it in my mind? i have carried it with me to school and work almost every day i have owned it and it has held up remarkably well. one of my friends purchased the same model laptop i have only about 6 months earlier, so he's had his laptop for 2 years with no problems. my boss has had his dell latitude for about 3-4 years and it never had any hardware problems (i did have to remove some viruses and spyware he installed). although he now has a thinkpad which i purchased for him as a replacement because he wanted a newer laptop.

sounds like we have another one of P07numbers shitty OPINIONS that goes against my empirical evidence. you have to be one of the worst members on this forum.

10. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I can't recommend Dell enough.... We have about 50 Dell desktops, laptops, and a few servers here... They have been very reliable. In the 6 years I have been here, I've had to call Dell maybe 2 or 3 times and they weren't major issues either. A few of the machines that were here when I was hired are still being used without issues...

11. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Bought a fully decked out Inspiron 1420 a year ago and it is still running strong. Put that thing through hell. I commute around campus via longboard and the lap top case doesnt have room for books and folders so the laptop gets put in the backpack wrapped up in a hoodie. Falls are inevitable and it took one or two. To date the only thing "wrong" with it is the W key sticks because I popped it off trying to get a hunk of paper out and where it took a hard fall the gray top and black bottom that sandwich the computer itself have a gap. Maybe 1mm. This was my fault, not dells.

My mom's inspiron 15XX is still doing good. Agianst my reccomendations she kept it on the charger all day every day and in 6 months the battery was at the end of its life. A full charge only gives about 1hr of normal use now. But she keeps it on the charger anyway so it doesnt really matter. She uses it as a desk top. I dont think it has ever left the home.

12. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

dell is another one of those companies that many computer people love to hate. they build low cost computers with low cost parts. they also have been known to use whatever was cheapest at the time so i've had windows admins complain that 2 of the same model server they bought within a relatively short time were built with different components.

i think they're ok. i like dell because they actually provide an OS disk for you to reload. HP only provides a recovery disk, so the only thing you can do is rebuild to their incredibly horrible software installation. either that or i think you have to buy your own OS which at that point negates any savings you may have had. up until recently, those were the only two major brands that i dealt with because that's what every company i worked at used.

13. awns729

awns729 New Member

HDD, RAM, Wireless card, proc can all be fairly easily accessed. replacing a keyboard or LCD is also possible, most companies will put instructions in the manual, but it is not too easy if you've never done it before. Still if you have any major problems, you can find someone to do it for you for much cheaper than any other place would charge.

Personally, I wouldn't get the warranty. You can do almost anything yourself if you know a little, or find someone to do it for less than (or about the) cost of a warranty.

Oh and if its still under the warrany, manufacturers are good for replacing shit.

14. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Yep pretty much but you can't just go down to your local computer store and buy the components. It usually requires factory parts.
    Nope they can both be replaced.
    MFG warranties are mandatory for laptops, IMO. Dell has a 3 year, on site warranty covering accidental spills and drops!!! That means if I trip, toss my laptop and it breaks, they'll fix or replace it and this warranty only cost me $50.

When you consider how much a laptop costs, it's totally worth every penny.

My MB broke and they came to my house within 48 hours and replaced it. They thought it was the video card at first so they replaced that also but it turned out to be the MB. Anyways, 48 hours after my issue my comp was back up and running and it didn't cost me a penny. I also watched the guy and found out the proper way to take it apart.....but I prolly won't ever do that.

15. GammaRadiation

While dell has had a few messups...like using boards that used the cheapest capacitors avalable that ended up having a major problem.

But you speak the truth about the disks. When a customer comes to us with an HP that needs to be reloaded and they never made backup disks or lost the ones HP gave them then they have to buy a new copy of windows, plus pay us for our time. Sucks for them. At that rate, many just buy a new computer when they didnt really need one.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you guys suck as techs, then. As long as the machine has a CoA attached to it, i will just use an OEM cd and then download the drivers.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Or you could just be careful, and save yourself hundreds of dollars on the warranty and deductable.

if you didn't know how, you shouldn't be doing it.

18. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

wow, that's funny because in a million other posts you say that you can't get a replacement OS cd if the vendor doesn't supply them. you said that you are only licensed as the vendor supplied it. so, you are apparently breaking your own laws here.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

WHAT? Seriously you must be browsing OT through babelfish.altavista.com or something because that would be one FUCKED UP translation to even remotely get that impression.

I have actually gone out of my way in NUMEROUS posts to point out that the CD means *nothing*. The *ONLY* thing that matters is the CoA. If you have a CoA but no CD, it's still a legit license. If you have a CD but no CoA, then it is NOT a legit license.

20. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

So first you say you HAVE to get the warranty with Dell computers:
    Then when Coottie talks about getting Dell's warranty you say you mock him by saying:
    All in the same thread. This is one reason why you are an ignorant douchebag.

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Yes, I am pointing out that dell is extremely shitty, and it is likely to break without abuse. As where a decent system from another manufacturer would likely not break if it was properly cared for.

what don't you get? Dell is shitty and WILL break, so you have to buy the warranty to cover the machine, since no amount of care on your part will prevent massive failure of the shitty part. However, with a decent machine, a little TLC will go a long way towards preventing failure.

22. GammaRadiation

Yes, because that helps when they dont have a key, either. :rolleyes:

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if it didn't have a key then it did not have a CoA and if it didn't have a CoA then it didn't have a license.

24. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

what YOU don't get is that you contradicted yourself in the same thread. i'm not exaggerating when I say you might have some sort of mild mental retardation, which actually makes me feel a little guilty sometimes when pointing out your obvious flaws in logic.

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It's not a fucking contradiction.

Saying that Product A is worse than Product B therefore a warranty is needed on A but is a waste of money on B is a very valid statement.

And until talking to you, I thought it was common sense. But then I forgot common sense isn't very common, these days.