Getting a cell phone without upgrading a plan?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Holden Caufield, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Holden Caufield

Holden Caufield New Member

I need some help with this one:

My gf needs a new phone, and I was eying the new Verizon Voyager as a Christmas gift for her.

The problem is, how would I go about doing that without upgrading or renewing her service contract?

I think she's on some family plan because her dad used to work at Verizon back in the day and they get a discount on the service.

The phone doesn't seem too expensive at MSRP without the plan (at Best Buy it was $450 according to their little placard in front of the phone), but it seems higher on ebay where it was going for 5-600 hundred bucks.

I could probably do $450, but otherwise I might as well just ruin the surprise and ask her if she has her two year $100 exception coming up rather than spend the whole $600 or find a new present, we haven't been dating long enough for me to drop that kind of cash really.

Any help would be appreciated...

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You can buy phones at MSRP and are not required to activate a line or service or extend a plan. You simply do not get any subsidized discounts.

You can give her the phone and she can call Verizon for an ESN swap. They may charge you a small fee for the swap (less than $36) but sometimes they don't charge it.

3. Holden Caufield

Holden Caufield New Member

Yeah that's pretty much what I figured.

Thanks.