GUN Getting a CCW from another state.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Kroze, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

I'm in jersey and i'm just wondering how hard is it to get a conceal carry permit to pennsylvania.

what's the process i have to go through?

anyone has done this with another state wanna chime in?

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Mail in an application with a photo, wait a week, check your mailbox. PA is really good with permits, if you have any questions email Sherriff Nau and he'll help you out.

3. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

is he a member of this forum? what's his email?

is it hard to get it? cause i know in jersey it's next to impossible.

do you have to have a very justifieable cause to carry in PA?

4. mvizos

mvizos New Member

Why not hit up packing.org, and go to the forums for PA?

edit: if you hadn't already, of course.

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Easy to get, but you can't have one. The problem is they require you to have a permit from your home state if your state issues them. NJ DOES have a CCW permit, they just don't give them out very easy. So unless you have a NJ CCW you are SOL in PA. If you do have one, go here and follow the instructions, it's really easy and fast: http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/license_application.htm

All you need are :

A photo copy of a license to carry a firearm (concealed carry permit) from your home state if that state has a concealed carry law.

A photo copy of your Driver's License.

A self addressed stamped envelope.

Two (2) passport-size photos.

$20.00 fee for five year license and out of state processing. (Check/money order made out to Centre County Sheriff.

Florida and Utah don't require that you have an existing permit. Both require fingerprints and training, and the fees are higher than PA.

Here is the FL info: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

Keep in mind that NJ does not recognize any other state's permits, so you won't be able to carry in NJ. You will be able to carry in a number of other states however.

You can check the packing.org license tool for where:
    http://www.packing.org/license_tool/

6. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

i'm out of luck then :(

it's impossible to get a ccw in jersey.

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Like I said, you can still get one from FL or UT. I'd recommend FL since UT recognizes a FL non-resident permit, but FL does not recognize a UT non-resident permit. Also the training for the FL permit is easier to get than UT. Once you have the FL permit, you can also get a NH permit if you wanted, since they only require that you have ANY OTHER state's permit first.

But you would still need a NJ permit to carry in NJ. I'm in a similar situation: I can't carry in my home state (Illiniois) but I can carry in most other CCW states. I got PA and NH permits so I could carry in Missouri (I only needed the PA one, but they issue on a big piece of paper and NH sends an actual card, just easier to have in my wallet).

edit: Also a FL permit (and NH for that matter) would allow you to carry in PA, if that's your goal.

8. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

so i should get a fl permit since it doesn't require me to have one in my home state. and pa will recognize it and let me carry in pa also?

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yep. Check here for more info: http://www.packing.org/state/pennsylvania/#thisstatehonors

edit: Again though, it will NOT allow you to carry in NJ. Only NJ permit holders can carry in NJ, they don't recognize any other state's permits.

10. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

yea i know. but in order to get a pa permit, you have to have a nj permit first right?

the way you say to get around it is get a FL permit since they don't require you to have it in your state and since the FL permit is recognized in PA, you can carry in pa?

11. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

yes, according to packing.org PA recognizes FL non-res permits

12. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

FL permits are easy too. Follow the link on packing, you can request a packet right over the web and they send you the app and fingerprint card. Submit that with a letter or cert saying you've taken a NRA safety course and you're set.

13. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

So if I get an LA permit, and want to get a Non-resident permit in another state, then it's possible to have it in 2 states?

Also, what's different between the resident and non-resident permit in where you can carry? Both in the state and states that honor their permit?

14. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yes. There are four popular non-res permits: FL, UT, NH, and PA. The permits allow you to carry in the state that issues them as well as any other state that recognized them. Note that some states don't allow non-resident permits even from states they recognize resident permits from. Florida is like this. Most places treat non-resident permits just like resident permits, but not all.

If you already have a permit from your home state then it really doesn't buy you much unless your permit is not recognized somewhere you plan to travel. Packing.org has a tool where you tell it what permits you have and it tells you what states recognize the permits.

http://www.packing.org/license_tool/