getting a 36gb raptor...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jay, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

this drive is gonna be my boot drive, but I was wondering if I should install the 2 games that i play on there also (HL2 and WoW). am I better off doing it this way or will I notice a difference just installing it the other drive?

my other drive is a SATA hitachi 160gb 7200. right now, I have it partitioned 25 for winxp and the other for programs and storage.

I'm upgrading once again from a 2600 mobile and a7n8x-e deluxe to an 64 3000 754 and dfi lanparty nf3 250gb and just decided to throw this drive in.

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I have one and find the drive a bit small, but other than that it's really fast. I think my next drive setup will just be a pair of striped SATA 7200rpm drives. They'll be just as fast, with more storage room.

3. Juke

Juke What am I supposed to put here?

wanna send me that 2600 mobile? :x:

4. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

I've got 2 x 160 SATA drives as RAID0, and a 2600-M :p But the raptor is still better, as it has a lower seek time (5.2ms I think). RAID is still pretty good though, there is a noticable difference in loading maps and working with LARGE files.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Until one of the drives dies and you lose the whole volume. I'm thinking about having a raptor as my boot/OS/most used apps drive and a pair of 7200rpm SATAs mirrored to store my data.

6. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

unless your making a server mirror'ing is almost pointess. writing files isn't going to be any quicker.

personally i'd just get the raptor as the boot drive and have a 7200rpm drive as everything else.

7. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

I'm selling the cpu/mobo and hsf (slk-800 with a 80mm ystech adjustable) to a coworker for 165. you wanna beat that :naughty:

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I mirror because I have a ton of shit I don't want to lose to a hard drive clicking itself to death one day. I also backup to a firewire disk and DVD-R but those require me to remember to do it. The mirroring protects my data in between backups. Plus, even if I had a complete backup all the time, I'd still have to reload Windows, apps, reconfigure, etc. Giant PITA and waste of time.

9. Juke

Juke What am I supposed to put here?

:bj: :naughty:

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

mirrors are FAR from pointless. In fact, I think they're so great that any power-user should be running one!

Stripes, however, are the stupidest thing EVER. Most people say "but it's faster" -- yet all recent tests I've seen show no differences beyond margin of error. Not to mention a dramatically increased risk of failure. I always love it when someone says that they throw their video editing files on there. That's got to be the most stupidest thing... I mean, if your videos are important enough to be editing, wouldn't you want them secure?

Anywho, if the data is important enough to be storing on your HDD, I think it deserves some redundancy.

As for the raptor, I would recommend you get the 74GB. Even if you only need 36GB, the 74GB has a better seek-time (4.5ms) versus the slower 36GB (5.2ms). It's a small difference, but if you're already playing the "i need a raptor" game, then go for the gold ;)

11. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

I don't really need it, but I got the 36gb for really cheap... REALLY REALLY CHEAP

anyhow, I never bought into the RAID 0 hype. and I'm not going RAID 1 cuz there's nothing really important on this computer. I make a ghost image perhaps once a month, but even the drive that stores the images usually gets cleared once I reformat due to an upgrade or whatever :dunno:

and my I don't think my question was answered... should I throw my games into that drive or just leave it in the other drive?

12. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I have a computer at home that I guess is my gaming machine, I had a raptor in there and it hauls. I would say keep your games on the raptor, thats the whole point of the drive, to keep your most used apps on it.

So put things you use often (or want the most performance) on the raptor, other stuff on the hitachi.