getting a 10 gig HD

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jay, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

I want to run my OS from that. I want to transer just my OS files into it. how would I go about doing that? :confused:

2. carlin

carlin Guest

there is not clean way to do that....and if u have to ask this question your probably won't be able to manage the task, so i would suggest a clean install on the u're 10 gig hard drive ...

however if u are worried about losing data from u're old drive ... u can set up the old drive as a slave and make the new drive(10gig) the master and then install the OS on that, this way u will still have u're old drive intact (as long as u told format it)

hope that helps...

3. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

yeah I figured I would have to do a clean install on the 10 gig. but since I'm using winXP, would I have to uninstall winXP from my old drive? and if so, would the programs and everything else fuction as before or would I have to reconfigure everything? :confused:

BTW thx for the reply

4. carlin

carlin Guest

99% of your installed application won't run correctly(if at all) on the clean installed OS, so u will have to reinstall them.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

WTF? Of course you can do this - it's called ghost. You will have to reinstall your software (unless you enjoy digging in the registry), and then delete the old programs from the drive.

Having said that, there's nothng wrong with a fresh install :bigthumb:

6. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

I guess there's no way around it :wtc: clean install it is, then reinstall of software plus reconfiguring the settings... fuck that, I'll do this tomorrow, I got class tonight

7. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

What those guys said :)

Just clean install on your 10 gig..... and run your old HD as the slave and the new one as your master.

8. carlin

carlin Guest

there is an option of copying an OS from one hd to another in ghost :squint: .... i always though ghost was for mirroring drives

9. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

ok, I decided to go qith a 20gig hd as my boot drive. now, I have a crapload of movies, mp3, anime (~35gb). or should I just create an image and burn them on a cds?

I want to format my old HD, but I don't wanna lose these files and some programs. is there a way of doing that or am I assed out?

also, should I run the 80gb as slave or can I put it as secondary master?

10. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

You went out and bought a 20GB harddrive, or did you do a partition? Either way, it's best to burn your stuff off to archive.

You should put the 80GB as slave on, instead of taking up another IDE channel. Use that for your burner instead.

Best configuration is to have a burner on it's own channel, if you have 2 optical drives than seperate them and put one on primary and secondary.

11. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

I went and bought a 20gb. yeah I have a dvd and cdr drive. so I should set the DVD drive prim. slave and CDR 2nd slave with both HD's being masters, coorect?

12. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

Set aside the CDR either Master or Slave on the Primary IDE channel. Then when you do COPY CD TO CD, you can have the DVD on the IDE 2 (master or slave) occupy full bandwidth, like wise for the CDR which is important.

You just don't want them sharing (fighting) bandwidth.